Sad

FCMR

....... and most people in such a position would be extremely aware that any financial dealings undertaken in relation to benefiting from the use of legitimate public funds in a personal capacity, must be carried out without fault and with the utmost care and consideration taken to follow all procedures to the absolute letter. Further, you would not undertake such an action without making yourself fully aware of all procedures and conditions to ensure that at no time could there be any question of foul play.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could  the Manx police not call in Scotland Yard Serious Fraud squad and if the mechanism exists then should this not be done?

In a word....no.

Firstly, the jurisdiction of Scotland Yard only encomapases the UK. Hence, they could not investigate alleged criminal offences on the Isle of Man. And frankly why should they?

Normally, UK police forces are only brought in to carry out internal investigations within the Isle of Man force (as we have seen recently). And these are dealing with internal police discipline. If those turned out to be criminal offences then it would be the Manx police who presented those findings to the AG's office, who would make the decision to prosecute or not.

And as WSAG said, anyone deserves the 'innocent until proven guilty' democratic way of doing things. Whether you like the man or not.

edited: i must have been in a rush, my spelling was cr@p

Is it not the AGs job to give legal advice to the CM and has he not made requests to Tynwald members over this case. If that is true then surely he could not decide or make an independant decision.

In a statement read out this morning the CM said he knew about the allegations and on his second statement read out at lunch time on Manx Radio he stated he did not know what the police were investigating.

They have now witdrawn this statement.

Mark my words, it will all go nowhere.

The standard of criminal proof to prove dishonest intent is very very high, and the AG will not take a chance.

The standard of proof at a civil level is easier, but I am afraid that the criminal case will hi-jack the attention, and nothing will go anywhere.

No matter what the actual truth is.

If a person feels that the local plod have not completed a proper investigation or that the person with the final decision has made the wrong decision then the complainant or any member of the public can ask for a referal to an independand body, which could go as far as the European Court of Justice.

Or a menber of the Government could insist on a Commision of enquiry.

In this case only a small % of proof would have an end result :)

Archived