The Trial

Billy One Mate

There has been very little said on here about the current goings on at the court house involving Mrs Corkill which I think is probably due to the fact that everybody is now fed up and bored with this whole sorry affair or this topic has been fully dealt with in detail by various posters/same poster on numerous ocassions.

Although I must admit to briefly following the case by way of the media I am somewhat surprised at some of the things being reported as having been said in court which appear to me to have absolutely no bearing on what has been alleged or is being tried at the moment.

Anybody got any views on this.

:rolleyes: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad fact maybe is that people are worried about what they can and can't say due to the case still ongoing.

Many, including myself, have stopped posting untill the case ends for the sole reason as to keep this forums free from litigation, imo.

This Forums has enough shoite to put up with at the best off times,it doesn't need Jules to go on a Menstral and cause more crap.

I think we are all waiting for this soap opera to end before we pass judgement.

Don't hope for justice on this one because its not going to happen.

Thought this court report was interesting.

Geoff LePage ... [gave evidence that] ... concerned a diary entry he made in August 2003 which described a meeting he attended with Mrs Corkill and her husband, former Chief Minister Richard Corkill, on the 29th of that month.

Mr LePage said at the end of the meeting he was handed a quote by Mrs Corkill from K and G Construction.

However, he added that had he known a Mr Gill, whose name appeared on the quote, hadn't prepared it, he wouldn't have accepted it.

The court had previosly heard K and G Construction ceased to exist in the mid 1990s.

I assume Manx radio are faithfully recording the evidence presented and so would note without comment that the prosecution is saying that both Mr & Mrs Corkill attended the meeting, a quote was presented in the name of a person who did not prepare it and in the name of a company that had stopped trading some years earlier.

I understand the defence may be questioning some of these details, as reported by MR.

Only reporting the evidence presented ... nothing more ... and it is up to the court to pass judgement on this evidence and the case. But the right of the public to attend and to be informed of what is said in court is an absolute right going back to Magna Carta etc.

I don't think reporting of evidence as presented is contempt (its a public hearing so the press can report) and discussion of the facts as reported surely cannot be contempt either. Unfair or biased reporting possibly could be contempt. The main concern is to ensure the jury isn't influenced by press reports rather than the facts as presented to them in court.

But you should know that shouldn't you?

Thought this court report was interesting.

Geoff LePage ... [gave evidence that] ... concerned a diary entry he made in August 2003 which described a meeting he attended with Mrs Corkill and her husband, former Chief Minister Richard Corkill, on the 29th of that month.

Mr LePage said at the end of the meeting he was handed a quote by Mrs Corkill from K and G Construction.

However, he added that had he known a Mr Gill, whose name appeared on the quote, hadn't prepared it, he wouldn't have accepted it.

The court had previosly heard K and G Construction ceased to exist in the mid 1990s.

I assume Manx radio are faithfully recording the evidence presented and so would note without comment that the prosecution is saying that both Mr & Mrs Corkill attended the meeting, an invoice was presented in the name of a person who did not prepare it and in the name of a company that had stopped trading some years earlier.

I understand the defence may be questioning some of these details, as reported by MR.

Only reporting the evidence presented ... nothing more ... and it is up to the court to pass judgement on this evidence and the case. But the right of the public to attend and to be informed of what is said in court is an absolute right going back to Magna Carta etc.

Is this how rumours and lies start? You quote something that states a Quote was handed over, but then you change that to an Invoice.

No doubt whatever the outcome of the trial, some people will not accept the verdict, because they know better.

I don't think reporting of evidence as presented is contempt (its a public hearing so the press can report) and discussion of the facts as reported surely cannot be contempt either. Unfair or biased reporting possibly could be contempt. The main concern is to ensure the jury isn't influenced by press reports rather than the facts as presented to them in court.

But you should know that shouldn't you?

but you are not discussing it you fool!!! you are publishing it in a written form,

Any poster on here getting involved in a 'discussion' on a world wide publishing platform is liable to contempt of court. Dont just think you are here as if you were having a bitch down the pub or at the post office - you are clearly ignorant - this is publishing, broadcasting or whatever you want to call it - If you want justice to be done, then I'd steer clear of this and any other court case until judgment has been reached - if this was a trial by jury, there's a good chanec this forum would have been closed on the basis of what's on this thread - and yes Forums owners, you'd be in the sh*t too

one day it will happen and i will be in the public gallery to watch when you are charged with contempt. II'll give you a wave as you are led down the back steps to be taken in a big white van to the greenbelt of Vic Road to enjoy your 7 nights courtesy of Tony Hawkes....

Archived