The Trial

Billy One Mate

As long as the news paper report is fair it can be published with impunity.Any public discussion, down the pub, on MR or R4 or TV or MF. of what is reported is OK. We do live in a free society. It isn't contempt.

I don't know what Agitator sees as the difference between print here and print in the papers or even between the speoken word and print here.

What law of contempt in IOM, what order of court or act of Tynwald does he think we are breaching. No one is asaying X is guilty, just trying to analyse whats going on and have an opinion. I think that is quite healthy.

It can't sway the jury, there isn't one.

I presume the HB doesn't gather his evidence here and won't be influenced by what is said here.

No contempt of Court

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... Usual sort of thing

Is this how rumours and lies start? You quote something that states a Quote was handed over, but then you change that to an Invoice.

No doubt whatever the outcome of the trial, some people will not accept the verdict, because they know better.

I apologise for the error, you are exactly right, I was incorrect and I have edited my post to remove the mistake. It wasn't intentional.

Mr Thie awin, apart from your recent 'incident' you are a very good advocate for whom i have a lot of respect for. I sincerely mean that.

but people are on here playing judge and jury, you know quite well what i'm getting at.

this is publishing - its is not basic plain old freedom of speech.

but you are not discussing it you fool!!! you are publishing it in a written form,

Any poster on here getting involved in a 'discussion' on a world wide publishing platform is liable to contempt of court. Dont just think you are here as if you were having a bitch down the pub or at the post office - you are clearly ignorant - this is publishing, broadcasting or whatever you want to call it - If you want justice to be done, then I'd steer clear of this and any other court case until judgment has been reached - if this was a trial by jury, there's a good chanec this forum would have been closed on the basis of what's on this thread - and yes Forums owners, you'd be in the sh*t too

one day it will happen and i will be in the public gallery to watch when you are charged with contempt. II'll give you a wave as you are led down the back steps to be taken in a big white van to the greenbelt of Vic Road to enjoy your 7 nights courtesy of Tony Hawkes....

I was not discussing the case at all, merely what constitutes contempt. How that could land me in court is beyond me. Given that I am a fool and clearly ignorant, then that should be no surprise to you.

I also think you need to read up on what consitutes publishing, because I think unsubstantiated slurs down the pub or at the post office is sufficient 'publication' for it to constitute slander as is a slur in a private letter from one party to another. Thieawin will no doubt put me right on that.

Whatgets saidon here may not be a fair report being published. So be careful you may still end up wrong end oif a defamation claim. There is a diference between spoken and written defamation.

Howver contempt? I think not.

Whatgets saidon here may not be a fair report being published. So be careful you may still end up wrong end oif a defamation claim. There is a diference between spoken and written defamation.

I was told to always stick to insults and personal abuse as its less likely to be claimed as defamation. Is it true? For instance if you suggest someone someone is less than ethical and say it its defamation, if you just say they are a "hideous piece of human detritius" or something similar thats just mindless abuse and does not count?

I'm interested.

Not in the context of this thread I should add.

Howver contempt? I think not.

I think I've mentioned this before but if not I will now.

IF, a household has 1 PC and it is used by the whole household, how can it be proved who posted what?

Archived