The Trial

Billy One Mate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm worried about the Indy reporting on today.

I notice the quote "I have never done a dishonest thing before" on the front page

I hope that is a complete and in context translation of what was said, because its not the wisest choice of words to use.

They do seem to have gone into overkill on summing up.

If it's a quote, is it a problem?

"I have never done anything dishonest before"

Infers that you have done something dishonest now.

I'm not drawing conclusions but it reads very odd dosen't it. Its a poor choice of words (or poor reporting if not true).

Also SarahC posted

Absolutely not. I was suggesting that it better had be a totally unambiguous quote as it does not translate well at all otherwise.

"I have never done anything dishonest before"

Infers that you have done something dishonest now.

I'm not drawing conclusions but it reads very odd dosen't it. Its a poor choice of words (or poor reporting if not true).

Also SarahC posted

Absolutely not. I was suggesting that it better had be a totally unambiguous quote as it does not translate well at all otherwise.

In English "I have never done anything dishonest before" can also mean ""I have never done anything dishonest before this point in time" i.e. to never have been dishonest up to the point that sentence was actually spoken.

In English "I have never done anything dishonest before" can also mean ""I have never done anything dishonest before this point in time" i.e. to never have been dishonest up to the point that sentence was actually spoken.

You're right. Its a poor choice though in my opinion. I'm not being drawn in either direction just saying that the Indy published the quote so I hope its 100% audited and accurate as people will read it both ways.

From which a reader might infer -

I have never done anything dishonest before this point in time ... but I'm about to start.

From which a reader might infer -

I have never done anything dishonest before this point in time ... but I'm about to start.

why was there no jury? sure there's an answer on here somewhere but couldn't find it!

How come you've not scanned and posted last weeks Examiner. You know, the bit about the crappy builder who can't even fit a septic tank without shit pouring out all over the place?

He's responsible for enough sh*t that pours out here, never mind tank fitting.

post-2146-1160909239_thumb.jpg

How come you've not scanned and posted last weeks Examiner. You know, the bit about the crappy builder who can't even fit a septic tank without shit pouring out all over the place?

You mean the one that was fitted by another company as mentioned in court, By a company that advised that Mrs C should stick to the planning and have a second tank in her garden which was declined.

post-2146-1160909239_thumb.jpg

You mean the one that was fitted by another company as mentioned in court, By a company that advised that Mrs C should stick to the planning and have a second tank in her garden which was declined.

well if it came out in court, who was the company, there will be no problems in naming him / her / they - let us all in on the skeet please skeat!

Archived