Manx Firms Lose Out

Theskeat

I thought there were now restrictions, following all of the project management debacles we have had over the last few years (hospital especially), that companies that bid for these jobs now have to be able to prove they had a certain percentage of the total cost of the job available (10% I think).

This can amount to many millions of pounds, which your average local company may have difficulty coming up with.

I am happy to be corrected otherwise.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard that the IOM gov gave TKMAX a rather large Grant to come over to the Isle of Man - Because it was creating 50 dead end jobs - what about the manx Business that will close because of it

I hope that is not true. I know people who work there and its hardly a shining beacon in employee relations - their management skills seem to be nil and they expect people to work long after official shifts finish for no extra pay and without warning. They are the sort of craps-ville employment tactics that they might think they get away with elsewhere but on the IOM just piss people off.

I heard that the IOM gov gave TKMAX a rather large Grant to come over to the Isle of Man - Because it was creating 50 dead end jobs - what about the manx Business that will close because of it

TKMAX is generally cheaper and will be employing people, so IMHO it will balance out for both consumers and employees. As for the business(es) that may close, they will only close because they will be uncompetitive, and if so, will be proved to have been ripping off Joe Public.

There will be no loss of culture if this is the result - just a few rich business people will have to retire earlier, having ripped us off for clothes over here for years. TKMAX won't force the closure of all their competitors.

OK FACTS

On any Government Capital Scheme in excess of £250,000 a performance bond has to be provided to the value of 10% of the contract sum. This bond is normally provided by the Governments chosen bondsman Euler Hermes who provide the bonds on the basis of the financial standing of the Company. So yes in circumstances of large Capital Contracts Manx Companies might struggle to show that their net worth is greater than the value of the bond, in the case of the prison circa 4 million.

In relation to the Wedding cake I did post a while ago again the facts in relation to this project and I am too lazy to go and find it but to summarize.

1. A manx company was the lowest tender recieved first time around

2. No dry rot works were detailed or shown on any pricing information

3. The increased cost was not just for dry rot

FOR EVERY POUND SPENT IN AN ECONOMY FOUR ARE GENERATED FROM IT.

All maybe revealed in the report prepared into the sustainability of the Islands Construction Industry to be released shortly. (prepared on behalf of the DTI by JR Knowles)

I hope that is not true. I know people who work there and its hardly a shining beacon in employee relations - their management skills seem to be nil and they expect people to work long after official shifts finish for no extra pay and without warning. They are the sort of craps-ville employment tactics that they might think they get away with elsewhere but on the IOM just piss people off.

Yes the figure I heard was six figures plus a very large payment towards the rent

In relation to the Wedding cake I did post a while ago again the facts in relation to this project and I am too lazy to go and find it but to summarize.

1. A manx company was the lowest tender recieved first time around

2. No dry rot works were detailed or shown on any pricing information

3. The increased cost was not just for dry rot

Thanks for clearing that up.

I always use complete scepticism as the basis for anything to do with budget overruns.

If a Manx company was cheapest, why no contract?

FOR EVERY POUND SPENT IN AN ECONOMY FOUR ARE GENERATED FROM IT.

So in theory you could quadrouple your own monthly income by setting up your own business to handle all of your own affairs and needs, simply by handing over your wages each month. I'll give it a try!

TKMAX is generally cheaper and will be employing people, so IMHO it will balance out for both consumers and employees. As for the business(es) that may close, they will only close because they will be uncompetitive, and if so, will be proved to have been ripping off Joe Public.

There will be no loss of culture if this is the result - just a few rich business people will have to retire earlier, having ripped us off for clothes over here for years. TKMAX won't force the closure of all their competitors.

I have now been in TKMAX twice, (that was my second mistake), and found that there was nothing at all that took my fancy, the 'smart' stuff is equal or cheaper in M&S, the grunge is more like a jumble sale, and not that cheap either !

Well I have had a contrary experience Tempus, mainly on the homeware front. I bought a cafetierre a couple of weeks ago and today bought a Judges lidded roasting pan; both significantly cheaper than I could have bought elsewhere on the Island.

The thing with TKMaxx is you have to be prepared to do a bit of rummaging for clothes and that is a real pain. But on the homeware front, there are some very good bargains to be had.

There was a TKMaxx near where I used to live and, at that time, the homeware lines were pretty minimal. Much better now and something much needed over here.

Having said all that, I did buy a lovely suede jacket but, at the time, I wasn't looking for a jacket. Similar thing happened when I lived across, and found the best pair of boots ever. So perhaps the trick is to go in and have a superfical look at the clothes in case there is something that takes your fancy rather than go in there because you want a particular item.

Isn't the "Maleys" chain of chemist shops owned Peter Lloyd who lives at Arragon House, Santon? I understand that he sold his interest out in the Lloyds Chemist chain in the Uk but kept the IOM stores for himself.

Wasn't that Alan Lloyd?

Isn't the "Maleys" chain of chemist shops owned Peter Lloyd who lives at Arragon House, Santon? I understand that he sold his interest out in the Lloyds Chemist chain in the Uk but kept the IOM stores for himself.

Wasn't that Alan Lloyd?

could be, I think there were orignially two brothers who ran the business, may have the first name wrong.

Archived