[newsbot] Hogs The Local News Section On Manxforums

lisner

I usually pop along this place every few days or so and I notice that Mr Newsbot seems to hog the Local News section. Some of it is pretty worthless stuff, some not. Most of his stuff is old news, some is not.

Newsbot is steady enough but I would be more than happy if he were to have his own section. I wouldn't ignore him at all then and feel there is a special place for him but not Local News.

Surely Local News is for forum members to post and interact, not a mindless automaton who doesn't have a feel for what has been already said or what the forum is interested in.

I know this has been done to death before apparently, but perhaps things need to be revised.

Why, oh, why. Is the local news section clogged up with posts complaining about newsbot clogging up the local news section.

Surely there should be a new section for people to complain about newsbot?

Careful now or I'll start a new topic complaining about your post

No, no, please don't get me wrong. I think I like[Newsbot] and may even want to have [Newsbot]'s children and all that.

I just feel [newsbot] would be better in a [newsbot] section.

[newsbot] does not belong with us mortals.

but, long live [newsbot]

Mod team and Unisol, this topic keeps coming back. Newsbot is taking the oportunity from people to start interesting topics, and is also adding too many topics that are not of general interest.

The mixing of a machine with proper posters is not appropriate ... please move it to a section of its own ... where it can inform those forum members who do not follow the BBC etc about local news events. They can then chose to post about data the newsbot supplies in the Local News section themselves without the intervention of a machine.

Mod team and Unisol, this topic keeps coming back. Newsbot is taking the oportunity from people to start interesting topics, and is also adding too many topics that are not of general interest.

Its either Newsbot or MCB.

What a choice. Do you want to loose a leg or an arm.

Mod team and Unisol, this topic keeps coming back.

This is the third topic since July on it according to my rudimentary search.

They can then chose to post about data the newsbot supplies in the Local News section themselves without the intervention of a machine.

So your solution to 'too many topics' is to suggest that people rehash Newbot topics into another new thread. Excellent, that means even more topics. Solving.... absolutely nothing.

They can then chose to post about data the newsbot supplies in the Local News section themselves without the intervention of a machine.

So your solution to 'too many topics' is to suggest that people rehash Newbot topics into another new thread. Excellent, that means even more topics. Solving.... absolutely nothing.

Ans did you read this bit:

Newsbot is taking the oportunity from people to start interesting topics, and is also adding too many topics that are not of general interest

If you do not understand that newsbot does two things ...

one) it posts some topics that are uninteresting and

two) it posts things that are interesting, but which I believe it would be better if a person took ownership of that topic, posted the information in such away as to guide the topic in a certain direction and then react to the feedback, as it took the usual turns a forum does.

... then you have not been taking any notice of the things I and others have been saying.

Your claim that removing the newsbot will "solve -absolutely nothing" shows you have missed the point I am making as your selective quotation of my post shows.

I grow weary of discussing this with you.

If you do not understand that newsbot does two things ...

one) it posts some topics that are uninteresting and

I hate to break it to you champ, but so do real people. Like this, this

this or this.

two) it posts things that are interesting, but which I believe it would be better if a person took ownership of that topic, posted the information in such away as to guide the topic in a certain direction and then react to the feedback, as it took the usual turns a forum does.

And what, exactly, is stopping anyone from doing that in the second post, the third post or the twentieth post?

Your claim that removing the newsbot will "solve -absolutely nothing" shows you have missed the point I am making as your selective quotation of my post shows.

Your complete failure to grasp the notion that adding in another section, getting newsbot to post topics in there and THEN asking people to cherry pick these topics and REPOST them in another section ADDS to the number of topics and perceived clutter is staggering.

Do you know what I have been taking notice of? The poll results and the positive feedback we got from the majority of people around here when it was introduced. If you dont like it, then I'm sorry, but we're here to do what that majority want.

I've just had a quick look at the first page of Local News. (Covers roughly all the topics that have been active in October)

Newsbot started well under half of them.

Only three newsbot stories haven't received replies

Several Newsbot threads have run to second pages.

However, this hasn't stopped 14 different posters starting threads.

Chinahand has only started one thread.

MCB has only started 5.

Archived