Panorama

When Skies Are Grey

I did see the program and thought I had misheard David Mills associate tell Italian police the missing files had been in his office on the Isle of Man but they had blown away because he had left his window open!

Then I read the transcript:

Voice of DENNIS LAVIN] I had the file in my office. My office is on the seventh floor of our building. On the shelf in front of the window I had left the file. I had left the window open. That night there was a very great storm wind the window went open and many documents, not just this file, were sucked out of the room. And may I say one more thing I did notice the smiles when this was mentioned I'm willing to swear to this in any court and I can provide witnesses.

I’m sure the boys at the Met Office will be able to confirm the weather on the night in question.

I must try that one when filing my tax return.

I thought it was an extremely funny ending to a very serious programme.

Bad blood, corruption, Berlusconi, Mills and then this hilarious ending in the Isle of Man. Do you leave your windows open when a storm is brewing?

Could be a story for the IOM Film industry -a comedy thriller, perhaps.

I watched Panorama last night and it was the usual 'shadowy' and 'secretive' references to offshore jurisdictions. (BVI didn't do too well either.) The fact is that many of these structures are the brainchildren of lawyers or accountants in London or New York who basically run the show for their client. The structures discussed pre-dated, I think, the more stringent regulatory regime that we now have. That said, we still have a long way to go to recognise some of these less than savoury activities for what they are.

Archived