The Voters Are Back

Amadeus

From ManxRadio:

More voters register

Almost 5,000 more residents are eligible to vote in November's General Election than there were a month ago.

According to provisional figures released today (Monday), 52,112 people are on the electoral register.

Last month, concern was raised over 'serious deficiencies' in the register after the number eligible to vote had fallen by 9,000 to 47,500.

That prompted a month-long appeal for people to sign up which ended on Friday.

So that's still around 4000 less than the last time - what happended to them?

I imagine there a lot like me who have little interest in Manx politics or think that by voting for new candidates that anything will change. Perhaps I suffer from apathy or perhaps I am just being realistic.

I dont know what constituency I am in and have no literature or visits of any nature...so on that basis I shall decline to partake.

So that's still around 4000 less than the last time - what happended to them?

They failed to send registration forms out to them, then didn't tell them until the 11th hour that they needed to get in touch if this was the case, leaving people like me not eligable to vote.

When I rang up to check we were on the register, the bloke on the end of the phone had great difficulty finding me. He told me they use the MEA's address data base.

I was more than a little surprised by this. I presume he was telling me the truth, but why they aren't using their own data base and are using one that only loosely correlates with voters ... second homes, homes owned by those not qualified to vote, houses with multiple occupiers and a communal landlords supply etc etc ... all of these will muddy the waters considerably, when trying to work out if people should or should not be registered.

Didn't give me much confidence in the system.

I'd be interested to know how many people who live in communal accomodation didn't get any voter registration information ... the reason maybe because only one copy was sent to the landlord who didn't realize he had to register everyone rather than just himself and his family.

Not sure what happens to forms people return. I've filled in 3 so-far and still not on the register. All my neighbours bar one are missing too. I think its a plot Amadeus. They know manx forum members might vote for you so they are secretly removing us one by one!

it is not just 4000 missing. Think. The population is about 80,000. Of those all under 16 cannot vote, that is about 14,000, then anyone arriving in the last year cannot vote either, thats about 2,000 (maximum). There should be about 64,000 on the list.

In effect we are 20% non registerd to vote..

This has a serious knock on effect

take Peel, 3 candidates, a turn out of 50 % is actually only 40%, the voye is split. but one is a clear winner but does not get more than the other two together so the winner gets less in with less than 20% of the actual resident qualified population voting for him or her

Anyone (Amadeus) got the "am I on the register" number they could post up please?

Try the Electoral Registration Unit at the Treasury on 685749, or clicky

Too late to register for this election now, though...

it is not just 4000 missing. Think. The population is about 80,000. Of those all under 16 cannot vote, that is about 14,000, then anyone arriving in the last year cannot vote either, thats about 2,000 (maximum). There should be about 64,000 on the list.

I've had family here for generations and due to a house move found out I'm not registered. Its quite a relief really ... now I don't have to guess which is the least stupid person to pitch up on my doorstep and vote for them.

Archived