News For Douglas Ratepayers

manxchatterbox

how about £27,000 to install level access shower facilities for persons with special needs....in 3 properties!! its ratepayers money...the Corpy just spend it...

You're a fucking idiot.

how about £27,000 to install level access shower facilities for persons with special needs....in 3 properties!!

Level access as in no raised shower tray? Making the bathroom a "wet room"? (read as - very difficult and costly conversion)

Or do you think they just install a fucking ramp?

how about £27,000 to install level access shower facilities for persons with special needs....in 3 properties!! its ratepayers money...the Corpy just spend it...

£9000 for a shower does seem a tad expensive, its not the reason i have issue with just the inflated cost. Thats the price of an entire top quality kitchen supplied fitted with bells on.

looking about all they seem to be a typical enclosure with a different tray. or am i once again being too simplistic

£9,000 may seem a little excessive for ground floor adapted showering/bathing facilities to some, but breaking it down it is a very reasonable price. The prices I have quoted are from Arjo, a company used on the Isle Of Man to provide these fixtures and fittings. The prices are from their 2005 catologue.

Arjo

Basic shower £1,500

Basic bath £3,000

Overhead tracking hoist £1,850 - £3,000 (depending on how far the track has to go)

Basic standalone hoist £2,000

Shower chair £500 upwards

Ok, you can see where I am going on this one. This is all before toilets, wash baisins, grab rails and flooring have been provided. Epoxy resined flooring can cost upwards of £1,000 for a small shower room.

On top of this is labour, insurance, and the ongoing maintainance of any machinery.

It is not possible to say if £9,000 is excessive without knowing each individual's circumstances. What is heartening, is that somebody was prepared to authorise the funding to allow 3 people the right to what the majority of us take for granted.

I think Manxman 8180 hit the nail on the head. It may not represent great value for money, but it is the right thing to do.

£9,000 may seem a little excessive for ground floor adapted showering/bathing facilities to some, but breaking it down it is a very reasonable price. The prices I have quoted are from Arjo, a company used on the Isle Of Man to provide these fixtures and fittings. The prices are from their 2005 catologue.

Arjo

Basic shower £1,500

Basic bath £3,000

Overhead tracking hoist £1,850 - £3,000 (depending on how far the track has to go)

Basic standalone hoist £2,000

Shower chair £500 upwards

Ok, you can see where I am going on this one. This is all before toilets, wash baisins, grab rails and flooring have been provided. Epoxy resined flooring can cost upwards of £1,000 for a small shower room.

On top of this is labour, insurance, and the ongoing maintainance of any machinery.

It is not possible to say if £9,000 is excessive without knowing each individual's circumstances. What is heartening, is that somebody was prepared to authorise the funding to allow 3 people the right to what the majority of us take for granted.

I think Manxman 8180 hit the nail on the head. It may not represent great value for money, but it is the right thing to do.

Well spake FTL!

Archived