Solway Harvester

Nicky Nacky

I note that after a number of years the Solway Harvester is no longer tied up at its usual spot in Douglas harbour. Anyone know where it's gone or what is planned for it?

On a personal note thanks to those behind forums such as this one and its contributors for being able to share information.

Thank God we don't have to rely on the local media who once again seem to have their finger nowhere need the pulse (although I'm sure they'll report on this story sometime next week)

Dear Nicky,

Sorry - Manx Radio's North Quay (By The Swing Bridge) correspondent must have been on holiday this week...

'The media' rely hugely on publicity bumf, insider tip-offs, PR types, spin doctors, the bloke down the pub and disparate other members of the general public for information which we can then verify with official sources and report.

So if you noticed something like that and didn't call the local papers or Manx Radio (at only the slightest risk of hearing a bored hack saying "yeah, we know"), then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

If Manx Radio misses a news story, 99% of the time (everyone makes mistakes) it's because nobody told us about it. We welcome story leads with open arms.

Once all the enquiries are completed I think it best that this vessel is returned to where she sank, with a few prayers and scuttled.

I regularly see the Solway harvester and having an interest in ships find it hard to believe she sank.

She has a fairly wide hull and deep draft. and her sides are well high above the water mark.

Very strange.

And this week's Manx Radio Quiz is ...

Stu did I not report a news story to the station only for a MHK to try and have it blocked, resulting in me producing an audio tape from the court case to clear the station.

Ok and this is relevant to the discussion because...

Complete the sentance in 10 words or less for your chance to win a rusty old merc.

• 2 years later...
Nope - I join Athol Street, continue down by the Railway and only along North Quay as far as the Traf.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be looking at the road, innit!

Which should of course be the South Quay. For some reason I always get mixed up too.

Back on topic, is there to be a Civil court case now? In which case of course the vessel has to remain accessible. Can you imagine the shouts if the boat was taken out and sunk before the matter had been through the courts.

A little off topic and to do with the one they call FCMR, is there also a civil case coming up or has it been sorted otherwise now?

So if the trial is complete, why have the authorities not dealt with the Solway Harvester yet?

I think it is more to do with the inquest. The vessel in probably still in the hands of the coroner (Mr Moyle) and will not be released until his deliberations are complete. I have a feeling that the inquest is still adjourned?

Archived