History Matters. The Biggest Blog In History.

Addie

I apologise if this has already been covered, but History Matters are encouraging everyone possible to add their experiences of One Day In History. 17th October 2006

Make history with us on 17 October by taking part in the biggest blog in history.

'One Day in History' is a one off opportunity for you to join in a mass blog for the national record. We want as many people as possible to record a 'blog' diary which will be stored by the British Library as a historical record of our national life.

Sound a wonderful idea. I thought I'd mention it for the sober amongst us who can still remember what they did on the day ;)

I started to write my 'Blog' and then paused to read the terms and conditions. The Isle of Man is no listed as a location. So, I 'Blogged' from the county of 'Other'. Also the material is not allowed to be capable of being political in nature. You have to indemnify the Library against any breach of these terms.

Oh come on please. The very story of our times is a political one. Not least because the UK has changed so much in the past twenty years. I was going to write a piece on how much nicer daily life in the Isle of Man is not being part of Tony Blair's controlled Nanny State.

This 'Blog' is an attempt to engineer historical political correctness.

Do you suppose diarists such as Samuel Pepys cared what people thought of their views?

I am sure that future historians would love to know what we actually thought of the times we live in.

Throughout history, regardless of the country, 'the government' of the day has always written history, and generally left out anything put them in a bad light.

Well, I will be interested to see if my 'Blog' gets rejected. I ignored the 'guidelines' and wrote a piece that was highly political in nature. Specifically I declared that future historians should read the Blog in the context of political correctness.

Make a nice little essay topic for a history student in a hundred years time.

Archived