[BBC News]Pension scheme faces £1bn deficit

Newsbot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

certaintly before it reaches £1bn deficit anyway....

Hike up exisiting members premiums, close it off to new entrants, and sack the existing pension fund managers who have patently not done their job properly. Fair enough you couldn't blame them for world stock market volatility, but hey, did they not think to inform someone in Government when the defecit became over say £50m ???

Then again maybe the pension managers did inform but someone in Government didn't listen...

another mf conspiracy theory.... (i.e. speculative bullshit)... ;)

oh to be that fly....

is it actually possible to see the underlying assets of this pension fund and see who made the most losses? Transparency's is appalling if you compare it to how local authorities report to the public in the UK. AFAIK, the government doesn't hire any external consultants to advise on which managers to hire and fire which doesn't help. It all seems to get farmed out to local institutions and with the greatest respect to them all, are never going to come close to the top tier managers from London & NY which would all want to bid for mandates...funny that...

I have a horrible feeling that its down to a sort of accountants own goal.

Most pension funds, private or public, were invested in a mix of fixed interest stocks and equities.

When the stockmarket did well the value of the fund went up and kept contributions low.

A new accounting standard was introduced under the Major Goverrnment which basically said the fund had to have enough in fixed interest investments to pay the pensions.

As the stockmarkets fell in 2001, and afterwards, this meant a switch out of equities into low yielding fixed interest investments to stick by the rules, which excarerbated the falls and slowed recovery of the stock markets and left the pension fund managers holding fixed interest investmenst whose value fell as interest rates slowly rose.

To be fair the standard was introduced post the bouncing Czech Maxwells depradations on the Mirror pension fund but far from protect private pensions it has just about scuppered them.

The only answer is higher retirement age for public and private employees and also make the civil service pension contributory. They only pay 1.5% for family benefits at present, the rest is paid by the tax payer.

Of course if the fund had been invested in equities over the last 3 years it would have doubled in value and there would be a surplus as we speak. That is how quickly these things can change.

If the accounting standard and solvency ratios were changed back to pre 1993(?) and all pension funds piled out of fixed interest and into equities that would push the stock market even further up from record highs and reduce or eliminate the deficits, not just for IOM Government but many private funds. no good blaming the investment managers who have one arm tied behind their back.

The fixed interest investments have just fallen in value again because all the economic data predicts the need to raiser interest rates to 5% next time and it is already built into the price of investmenst and the value of the pound

OK my economics is shaky but that is what i understand from my readings recently.

I have now read the report

There is no one billion £ defecit in a fund. The IOM Civil Service Pensions are paid out of current income. There is no fund

The headline is grossly misleading.

What the report is about is a mess up in Government, yet again, in updating the IOM scheme in line with the UK one. That is now being resolved

The present Civil Sevice Pension bill is 30 million £ per year, paid out of tax.

I cannot see how the £1 billion figure is calculated in the report but if you invested £1 billion you should get a better return, I hope, than £30 million.

I an any event there is a pension reserve fund of £100 million invested in equities. So if you take it you might get 4.5% return and that we already have £100 million invested the amount needed to fully fund would be another £567 million. Still a large sum but not the headline £1 billion

My previous post still applies to funded pension schemes but not to the civil Service scheme. My apologies.

very informative thieawin.. still IMO doesn't excuse Govt still offering final salary pension schemes as employee incentive, should have been closed to new entrants years ago. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision though....

...make the civil service pension contributory. They only pay 1.5% for family benefits at present, the rest is paid by the tax payer

WHATTT???!!!!! I didn't know that, that's outrageous.... anyone come up with any good reasons why they shouldn't contribute like the private sector??

Archived