Polish Coast Guard Fires On German Cruise Ship

Amadeus

Polish Coast Guard Fires on German Cruise Ship

After a scrape in Polish waters over duty-free alcohol and cigarettes, the Polish Coast Guard fired warning shots at a German cruise ship. Now diplomats are working to untangle the mess.

Nobody would ever accuse Poland and Germany of having an easy relationship. But things have rarely escalated to this degree.

In an incident just now hitting the German front pages, the Polish coast guard fired on a private German cruise ship on Tuesday as it fled Polish waters with two plainclothes customs officials from Poland on board. Whether the shots were merely blanks, as the Polish claim, or whether live ammunition was used, as the head of the German cruise company alleges, remains unclear. Regardless, the incident threatens to escalate into a full-scale diplomatic tiff. Full Article

Oh dear - happy united Europe... Cue WWII Jokes :rolleyes:

You say its a cruise ship - here is the picture of the german ship from Reuters news feed

Hey - it really is only a normal cruise ship - ok, the funnels are mounted at a funny angle, and may resemble eight 38 cm guns when looked at in a certain light, but that's it - honest! :ph34r:

Nobody would ever accuse Poland and Germany of having an easy relationship.

Oh dear - happy united Europe

On my recent train trip through Germany to Poland I was quite surprised to have German and Polish officers board the train either side of the border for a passport check. It reminded me of some wartime POW escape movie.

On the way back they even seemed to be checking under seats, etc.,

As you say, so much for a united Europe

Archived