[BBC News]Plea for more TT 'homestay' beds

Newsbot

The Manx tourism director appeals for more people to take in visitors for the TT races centenary.

On the basis that most people who are able to do Homestay already do, what on earth do the DTL expect is going to happen with this request? Its not going to generate much extra capacity. Is it the fault of the manx general public that DTL have an event that they have seriously misjudged, that they have hoped would magically organize itself, and 8 months before the people start arriving they panic and realise that there is nowhere for anyone to stay. Some sort of planning going back two years may have been in order - here's a hint. There is only one ferry company and a handfull of airlines - the scheduled traffic must have been known well in advance as most bookings were well in advance and its only extra sailings and flights that should create additional capacity problems.

They would be better doing a deal with Heritage / Dandara etc to fill all those empty apartments planners allowed to be built on the prom that are all still for sale, or hiring static caravans to fill that huge empty site at Summerland, or thinking about various ways of managing the problem rather than hoping that home owners will dig them out of this mess.

And be willing to pay for the privilege of some nosy sod from that department to spy on your abode before they declare it fit for purpose.

I must admit we went through the vetting process for homestay. They expect to much in terms of ensuite facilities etc. What they really want from homestay is for people to be a pretend to be a hotel for two weeks to make up for the fact that there are no hotels. If people have regulars its ok, but my house is not a hotel and I am not going to trick anyone staying into believing otherwise.

It is not my fault all the hotels are now luxury apartments with nobody living in them (or international language schools) or that we have a tourist strategy to bring people over to the IOM to participate in big events when we have no accomodation for them to stay in. Just bin the strategy - it is incompatible with the commercial realities of the Island. We have few rooms so we can only accomodate a few people.

Archived