[BBC News]Divers explore sailors' sea grave

Newsbot

I doubt if there would be any organic remains left after some 60 years in diveable depths - recycled many times by local fish.

The article also states several Manx died on board - the examiner annuals for period give only one death on Repulse - T E Quayle of Arbory who was a cook on board.

Can I suggest you go down to the dive shop at Balthane and discuss the expedition with Steve Cowley the organiser. His grandfather survived the sinking of the Repulse.

Steve will tell you about the consultation he had with the RN because they are war graves and the intention to leave a plaque commemorating all the Manx ratings who lost their lives.

This was all explained in a full page colour article in the Examiner on 18 July. Steve has a copy if you need to refresh your memory.

You can ask Steve if he disturbed the wreck or any remains.

The Solway Harvester sinking resulted in loss of life at sea and look what has happened to that.

There is no shame in their actions

During the dives on Repulse and Prince of Wales, we operated a total look and don't touch policy inline with the MOD/Survivors association guidelines. My Grandfather was onboard the Repulse at the time of her sinking.

The only thing taken on the wrecks was photographs.....600 of them, I am intending to go back and video the wreck site with the next 18 months! My grandmother is extremely pround that wehave paid tribute to those who were lost in the disaster and to those survived and were haunted by what they experienced!

Any more questions please ask.

Steve Cowley

Can I suggest you go down to the dive shop at Balthane and discuss the expedition with Steve Cowley the organiser. His grandfather survived the sinking of the Repulse.

Steve will tell you about the consultation he had with the RN because they are war graves and the intention to leave a plaque commemorating all the Manx ratings who lost their lives.

This was all explained in a full page colour article in the Examiner on 18 July. Steve has a copy if you need to refresh your memory.

You can ask Steve if he disturbed the wreck or any remains.

The Solway Harvester sinking resulted in loss of life at sea and look what has happened to that.

There is no shame in their actions

During the dives on Repulse and Prince of Wales, we operated a total look and don't touch policy inline with the MOD/Survivors association guidelines. My Grandfather was onboard the Repulse at the time of her sinking.

The only thing taken on the wrecks was photographs.....600 of them, I am intending to go back and video the wreck site with the next 18 months! My grandmother is extremely pround that wehave paid tribute to those who were lost in the disaster and to those survived and were haunted by what they experienced!

Any more questions please ask.

Steve Cowley

Nice to learn you respected MOD guidelines.

You will appreciate that hasnt always been the case. Its a little bit of a hobby horse with me, and many others as well.

Shirley Ward led quite a successful campaign to prevent diving on war graves [round about 2000, 2001?]

This was very well supported and ,although it didnt result in a total ban on diving on war graves, resulted in enhancements to the various pieces of legislation which protect RN war graves.

Edit: Shirley Ward must have been campaiging on this issue up to 2003 or so. I just found this.

HMS Repulse Bell Removed

and .. Message from Survivors Association Secretary

Nice to learn you respected MOD guidelines.

You will appreciate that hasnt always been the case. Its a little bit of a hobby horse with me, and many others as well.

Most divers respect the ocean wherever they dive, and as far as I can see this team are, and were very professional in the way they went about it.

I for one respect and congratulate them on a successful dive that took a long time planning.

Archived