The Verdict

Billy One Mate

IOM Online:

Mrs Corkill said he had some degree of sympathy with the defendant.

??? Can't quite figure that line out

I can he is basically saying although legally she has done something wrong it was by way of ignorance or error but not intent to obtain money by deception.

(Fell off chair laughing :lol: )

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IOM Online:

Mrs Corkill said he had some degree of sympathy with the defendant.

??? Can't quite figure that line out

I can he is basically saying although legally she has done something wrong it was by way of ignorance or error but not intent to obtain money by deception.

(Fell off chair laughing :lol: )

Ah, so Moyle said in not Mrs Corkill. I suppose a sympathetic "judge" is always handy

Also

He said Mrs Corkill got caught up in events that were not entirely of her own making.

So I wonder who else helped make the events?

I still find it hard to understand that her husband introduced the tourism grant legislation and then didn't help her with any of the grant claims for their joint property

Edit - I see iomonine have now corrected the mistake

Further edit - although the typo "deprtament" still remains

Final edit - they've now corrected the typo and changed it to guilty on three charges

IOM Online:
CORKILL VERDICT - GUILTY OF FOUR CHARGES

He said Mrs Corkill got caught up in events that were not entirely of her own making.

30 October 2006

So is he basically implying that Mr. Corkhill was responsible then? If so then will he be called to answer?

I'm willing to bet that she's found guilty of the 3 (or 4?) least offences. Mr Moyle has already commented that he doesn't believe she set out to defraud the DTL, so that'll be not guilty on the deception charges then.

I reckon she'll get no custodial sentence (already been commented as such), not even suspended. A slap on the wrist and a token gesture fine, at least when compared to the amount stolen.

Personally I'd like to see her do porridge followed by community service, in a public place, wearing a large tabbard to tell everyone why. And she should repay the full amount of the grant.

As for Tricky Dicky, he can go free with my blessing. Being married to her is punishment enough by the sounds of it.

Edit: Bit slow today.

Manx radio has coverage of it now: CLICKY

Julie Corkill has been found guilty of dishonestly obtaining a money transfer, false accounting and producing false estimates.

Mrs Corkill (pictured), the wife of former chief minister Richard Corkill, was found not guilty of forgery, dishonestly obtaining almost £44,000 and falsifying information.

Well I think you are all being unkind, Mr Moyle obviously thinks that she is just some unfortunate naïve women who got caught up in a whole rollercoaster of “four false accounting charges” but managed not to get involved in any “deception” (although I can’t see how false accounting would not be deceitful.)

You are all just meanies!!!!!

Don't you know that 'the big boys made her do it' anyway :ph34r:

Well I think you are all being unkind, Mr Moyle obviously thinks that she is just some unfortunate naïve women who got caught up in a whole rollercoaster of “four false accounting charges” but managed not to get involved in any “deception” (although I can’t see how false accounting would not be deceitful.)

That's puzzling me as well :D

So she did some false accounting but didn't mean to deceive anyone. What's the point in false accounting then?

Manx radio has coverage of it now: CLICKY

Julie Corkill has been found guilty of dishonestly obtaining a money transfer, false accounting and producing false estimates.

Mrs Corkill (pictured), the wife of former chief minister Richard Corkill, was found not guilty of forgery, dishonestly obtaining almost £44,000 and falsifying information.

TBH I have not kept up to date with all this - but could somebody explain where the figure £44k came from - I thought it was £90k

Archived