Flybe Aquires Ba Connect.

TomTucker

British Airways has confirmed it's reached agreement to sell off its regional operation, BA Connect to rival British European.

The sale is subject to a number of conditions including Board approval and documentation. In addition BA has agreed a write down of over 100 million pounds of its investment in BA Connect.

BA Connect was the relaunched name for the regional operations of BA and the Manx operation ,Citi-Express.

The service has operated to the Isle of Man since 1982, having previously been Manx Airlines and later British Regional.

Media Release Below:

PROPOSED SALE OF BA CONNECT TO FLYBE

British Airways announced today that it has reached agreement in principle to sell the regional operation of its subsidiary airline BA Connect to Flybe.

BA Connect also operates from London City Airport and between Manchester and New York. These services will not form part of the proposed sale nor will the regional ground handling business, British Airways Regional Ltd.

Willie Walsh, British Airways chief executive said: “Point to point regional operations are not a strategic part of our business and we believe that such activities are better undertaken by a regional low cost airline.

“Despite the best efforts of the entire team at BA Connect, we do not see any prospect of profitability in its current form.

“The proposed sale to Flybe provides the best opportunity to secure the long-term future for the many dedicated staff in BA Connect. British Airways will have a 15 per cent investment in Flybe on completion of the disposal.

“London City services complement our mainline business at Heathrow. For this reason they are not included in the proposed sale.”

It is envisaged that once the sale of the regional business of BA Connect to Flybe is completed, there will be a transition period until the start of the summer schedule on March 25, 2007 while the handover of responsibilities is undertaken.

Notes to editors

•The proposed transaction is subject to a number of conditions including board approval, documentation and due diligence.

•British Airways announced a write down of £106 million of its investment in BA Connect. There is not expected to be a further material profit or loss on disposal.

•BA Connect, based in Manchester, employs 1900 staff and operates 52 routes from 13 UK regional airports. The airline is expected to carry 3.5 million passengers on regional services in 2006/07.

•Flybe, based in Exeter, employs 1800 staff in the UK regions and operates 101 routes from 21 UK regional airports. The airline is expected to carry 6 million passengers in 2006/07.

its a slimmed down version of the company theyve sold, BA keep manchester slots and london city

Flybe's side of things:

http://www.flybe.com/next_gen/default.htm

be prepared to pay for your bags!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally it'll be a pain. At the moment you can book on-line the whole way through to your destination with BA. It's pretty painless and you can check your bags the whole way through. If the flight off the island is delayed for any reason BA will still get you to your destination once you get to the UK. Having to deal with 2 airlines in the future will be a pain in the ass. I've always found BA prices to be ok and the staff helpful.

But yet again the lives of Manx residents are disrupted by a company and the Govt can't really do much about it.

You assume, of course, that the BA services will remain in place. Don't forget that flyBe severed its links as a manned base with the Island a couple of years ago and ceded the LCY route to Euromanx. This news was inevitable and given the massive turmoil that has gone on within BA Connect since it was formed, the Island's operation has been extremely fortunate to survive relatively intact. Indeed, the 146 service has probably been the only part of the entire BACon operation that has 'carried on regardless' much to the delight, no doubt, of those who work on it. But it looks like change is in the wind. BA has survived largely on their brand reputation which, in reality, hasn't been so great in the past few years particularly on its regional operations - £1.60 for a cup of tea! There are many good airlines out there - don't be mesmerised by the BA logo.

Personally it'll be a pain. At the moment you can book on-line the whole way through to your destination with BA. It's pretty painless and you can check your bags the whole way through. If the flight off the island is delayed for any reason BA will still get you to your destination once you get to the UK. Having to deal with 2 airlines in the future will be a pain in the ass. I've always found BA prices to be ok and the staff helpful.

That was exactly my thought as well, but I thought I heard Stu on Manx Radio say that BA were keeping their IOM > Manchester route. Need to find out more details.

Totally agree if you want to travel further than the UK as you could book through and BA treated the flights as conecting flights. Any delays or problems and you remained BA's responsibility. Connection times also much reduced as you had already checked in and therefore not required to get there Xhrs before second flight and check in again.

Flybe from experience will not do this. I have tried to book a flight from Europe to the IoM by connecting in UK. Flybe inisted that it was two seperate bookings and hence two seperate air passenger taxes and duties. When I pointed this out they apologised but said they could not book through although all with Flybe in case my first flight was delayed! Therefore now either have to overnight somewhere or make sure that first flight lands in plenty of time to check in again for next. If going to Europe to USA etc this presumably will mean an extra 2,3 or more hours which is great with young kids.

That was exactly my thought as well, but I thought I heard Stu on Manx Radio say that BA were keeping their IOM > Manchester route. Need to find out more details.

For me Gatwick <=> IOM is essential, without this I am nicely stuffed as my airport is Zurich.

Best option at the moment would be Zurich <=> Heathrow <=> Manchester <=> IOM.

I bet that most BA maintenance employees on the Island lose their jobs.

I hope BE don't slim down their operations further, Flybe haven't shown a huge amount of commitment to the Island recently, and I hope the security those core BA routes have had isn't shattered as most other routes have become....

I hope BE don't slim down their operations further, Flybe haven't shown a huge amount of commitment to the Island recently, and I hope the security those core BA routes have had isn't shattered as most other routes have become....

I blame the daft Manx government for allowing Micky and his mates to start one horse airlines and make essential services non-viable.

BA at the moment is easy from Switzerland - or anywhere else on the planet. BA + Flybe - no thanks.

Some specific info about the island

http://www.flybe.com/press_office/iom.htm

"As part of the announcement, Flybe outlines its long term commitment to providing air services from the Isle of Man to London Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham. It also announces its intention to introduce a number of new routes, the details of which will be provided once the acquisition is completed."

"BA Connect Base Maintenance Facility

Flybe understands the important contribution that the BA Connect base maintenance facility makes to the Isle of Man economy. Flybe’s Aviation Services activities are headquartered at a new £14m facility in Exeter. Post acquisition, Flybe will look to provide both transitional work on the Embraer Jet fleet and new Aviation Service work for the Isle of Man facility. Flybe will work closely with the workforce and the Isle of Man Government to deliver these options."

Email from BA

British Airways announced today that it has reached agreement in principle to sell the regional operation of its subsidiary airline BA Connect to Exeter based Flybe.

BA Connect also operates from London City Airport and between Manchester and New York. These services will not be impacted by the proposed changes.

It is envisaged that once the sale of BA Connect to Flybe will be completed later this year, there will be a transition period until the start of the summer schedule on March 25, 2007 while the handover of responsibilities is undertaken.

Further information, including information for those holding a booking with BA Connect, can be found at http://www.ba.com/lfn, which will be regularly updated with the latest information over the coming weeks.

Yours sincerely,

British Airways

I bet that most BA maintenance employees on the Island lose their jobs.

thats the big question here really, doesnt alex downie look a bit silly now after backing BA and then oops! they sell up and ship out.

Alex Downie is just plain daft.

It'll be the end of BA for me - I'll now fly Siwss to Manchester or Brum and then hitch a ride with whichever of the Goofy airlines still serve the Island.

Archived