Flybe Aquires Ba Connect.

TomTucker

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some specific info about the island

http://www.flybe.com/press_office/iom.htm

"As part of the announcement, Flybe outlines its long term commitment to providing air services from the Isle of Man to London Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham. It also announces its intention to introduce a number of new routes, the details of which will be provided once the acquisition is completed."

"BA Connect Base Maintenance Facility

Flybe understands the important contribution that the BA Connect base maintenance facility makes to the Isle of Man economy. Flybe’s Aviation Services activities are headquartered at a new £14m facility in Exeter. Post acquisition, Flybe will look to provide both transitional work on the Embraer Jet fleet and new Aviation Service work for the Isle of Man facility. Flybe will work closely with the workforce and the Isle of Man Government to deliver these options."

sounds hopeful for some jobs, although the term 'natural wastage' will have been used no doubt in the managment meetings.

BA clearly were not interested and have never been able to make regional point to point work.

Better we have a regional airline feeding hubs. After all thats wght happened with BMA when it took over from BA last time.

With low cost the ex JEA now flyBe has a better set of routes and connections, shame it pulled out of LCY but there we go

It has 20% of its passsengers in and out of BHX so that is going to be a good hub for us. It is stationing more planes to Manchester, 11 as opposed to BHX's 10, so that means good onward connections there.

The route map from Southanpton is good, maybe daily flights there.

Lets not forget that 70% plus travel to and from island is leisure, not business. Its not so important to through book if you have cheap fares. As its a point to point, low cost, airline you won't get baggage transfers, just like easyJet or Ryanair.

At least its being run by airline profesionals, not bankers (an oblique IOMSPCo reference).

I actually ythink it could be good for us.

Big worry reading the regional press releases is that they are going to invest 70 milion in maintenace facilities at Exeter. What hope IOM facilities in that case.

I actually ythink it could be good for us.
I don't think it will be better than BA, but it'll be at least 100x better than the Steamship racket.

Big worry reading the regional press releases is that they are going to invest 70 milion in maintenace facilities at Exeter. What hope IOM facilities in that case.
No hope.

The whole Islands travel infrastructure needs looking at at Govt. level, by someone who has the guts to admit previous mistakes. The shameful protectionism of the SPco and the ridiculous open skies policy need urgent review before we do finish up with a severe and irreversible situation. The planning submission for the runway extension is predicting huge growth to justify the millions which are to be spent, a stumbling block may just be who is going to carry them !. No amount of reports or 'statistics' can escape the fact that the Isle of Man is a special case, and will never be a regional hub for anything. If large low cost carriers do come here without any doubt it will be short lived, and at the expense of everyone else. Come on Govt. stop playing at large international airports, and ensure a continuous and sustainable service for the man in the street.

Lets not forget that 70% plus travel to and from island is leisure, not business. Its not so important to through book if you have cheap fares. As its a point to point, low cost, airline you won't get baggage transfers, just like easyJet or Ryanair.

I disagree. I travel a bit with business and a lot for leisure and I always chose BA when I can because it is far better to be able to book straight through than in theory save a few quid with 2 budget airlines. The hidden costs going with 2 airlines is, in the long run, more than the perceived extra cost of going with BA.

I've had 14 trips off the island in the past year that need connections - 12 with BA. One problem late last year when the BA flight was fog bound leaving here. Missed my connection but didn't have to worry about bags or how I was going to get to my destination. BA sorted it and although it took 2 flights I still got there the same day. The two other trips involved using two different carriers. Both trips were stressful f*cking nightmares. I for one am not looking forward to the loss of the BA service.

The shameful protectionism of the SPco and the ridiculous open skies policy need urgent review

I don't quite follow this, on one hand you're not happy with an open policy and on the other you're not happy with a protectionist policy

there is a difference between open skies (or seas) and allowing any cowboy with an AOC to start operating. the government have gone from one extreme to another theyve opened the barn door as wide as they can and let every fool in.

how many airlines have started up at IOM in the last 12 months? and how many have stopped operating or reduced their routes?

alphaOne were an embarassment, manx2 seem to be have more marketing spend than earned revenue, emerald were running our of money when they were halted.

before the let new airlines start up they should be bonded to the tune of £2-3million to stop these MeTooAirlines.com

this BA situation had nothing to do with government, that was BA all on its own tho.

For me, and I expect many others, this is disappointing news. I travel overseas frequently, and have always booked 'through tickets' which included the domestic and long-haul sectors on the same booking. As a result, the connections are guaranteed, and I have climbed through the tiers of the Executive Club. I have enjoyed lounge access, frequent upgrades, and a fairly seamless connection through the UK. Furthermore, the Executive Club is a loyalty programme and I have done my bit by being loyal. So much for BA's end of the bargain.

If I cannot fly to the UK using BA, there is no reason for me not to 'shop around' for the longhaul sectors. BA are going to lose out of a lot of long-haul business class custom when this takes place.

I suppose it was inevitable that this would happen at some time, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I feel well-and-truly sh*ft*d by BA for the many thousands of pounds I have paid them over the last few years.

BA clearly were not interested and have never been able to make regional point to point work.

agreed my gf was quoted £480 to fly to belfast £480 :angry::angry::angry:

ba were only interested in the extra slots we had in london,now they have them :(

Archived