Ronaldsway Aircraft was always historically the largest private sector employer

However the figures now are

BA Engineering 110

Other BA staff 176

Ronaldsway 251

Zurich 340

Charterhouse 200

Skandia 350

The implications of the BA engineering closing have more implications than their directly employed staff

what does directly employed staff mean? and who are BA engineering?

BA engineering does not exist over here.

the engineering department is part of the BA connect, it is not a seperate thing.

so BA connect would be employing 286 according to those figures above

4th highest employer, that makes it ok then..:rolleyes: ..not

286 people and families is way too many whichever way you look at it.. but hey as long as everyone has cheap flights....

286 people and families is way too many whichever way you look at it.. but hey as long as everyone has cheap flights....

So what would you suggest?

That the UK and IOM governments force BA to keep employing people?

That the IOM government employs them to do something else?

I know 2 people that work there, but jobs come and go, they've worked for various organisations around the world, including the RAF, and I don't think they've ever been guaranteed a job for life anywhere, or have the country where they worked underwrite their mortgage

Edit to add - I work in retail, where there is increasing competition from UK and internet based firms offering cheaper priced goods. People want lower prices and locals lose their jobs. Shit happens, you have to deal with it and move on

4th highest employer, that makes it ok then..:rolleyes: ..not

even with that number, I wouldn't put them as the 4th largest employer. The 4th in the list that Thieawin produced maybe, but not on the whole Island.

It is a large number, many of whom may still be required to work for a new operator, but as TOG says, there is not a lot we can do is there.

There are plenty of jobs about for people who are willing to look.

I separated out engineering staff and others because it seems as if the hostesses, ground staff and pilots are safer in terms of job transfer prospects.

It is the engineering jobs which are at risk because flyBe has a base elsewhere where it has just invested huge sums

Clearly flyBe will have to recruit additional engineering staff so there may be transfer possibilities for some, there will have to be a team here for minor maintenance.

I start to get the feeling that we may see the service based elsewhere with no overnight stops as part of the cost cutting. That would cut out Manx aitline crew as well. Planes will fly to the IOMearlier amnd then go back to whence they came, rather than the other way around.

Of course BA will still be flying here to and from Glasgow and Edinburgh (Loganair in BA livery) as a franchise operation.

Back on topic..........

" Flybe Aquires Ba Connect.

What will this mean for IOM air routes?"

I think it will mean the end of interlining / code shares. As for prices and routes......pass me my crystal ball and I'll tell you the Lottery numbers at the same time...... :lol::lol:

So what would you suggest?

That the UK and IOM governments force BA to keep employing people?

That the IOM government employs them to do something else?

I know 2 people that work there, but jobs come and go, they've worked for various organisations around the world, including the RAF, and I don't think they've ever been guaranteed a job for life anywhere, or have the country where they worked underwrite their mortgage

Edit to add - I work in retail, where there is increasing competition from UK and internet based firms offering cheaper priced goods. People want lower prices and locals lose their jobs. Shit happens, you have to deal with it and move on

Im not suggesting anything.

(even tho the american government has bailed out 3 airlines from going bankrupt and the italian government bailed out their national carrier, but that is just wrong and unfair to other airlines and shouldnt be allowed at all.)

If you read my posts im trying to point out what is the most important point here. Not that some people might have to fly with flybe now or pay 3 pound more..

ps. Ref your "shit happens, you have to deal with it and move on". Your so ace, you are now my hero.

(even tho the american government has bailed out 3 airlines from going bankrupt and the italian government bailed out their national carrier, but that is just wrong and unfair to other airlines and shouldnt be allowed at all.)

You wouldn't be saying that if the Steam Racket went bust and you had to row over your own stuff from Tesco's in Liverpool :P

If you read my posts im trying to point out what is the most important point here. Not that some people might have to fly with flybe now or pay 3 pound more..

ps. Ref your "shit happens, you have to deal with it and move on". Your so ace, you are now my hero.

So it time for new approach?

it seems to me that the world and its mother want to operate to and from the isle of man so we wont have an issue finding an airline to fly here. what we do have is disruption in the sector and the local population confused about who to travel with and the routes they can get to from here.

if we just want cheap flights then FlyBE could be great for air travel, if we want manx workers employed at the airport then that might not be so great as the majority of rotations for FlyBE may start in MAN or BHX so the planes will not be based here.

Another aspect of this is what are FlyBE long term plans? they operate big jets as well and the way to make money is to to fly 1 aircraft type, makes maintenance easier, and crewing much easier. so if they move towards single type aircraft or consolidate some of their fleet where will we be left then?

the government needs to step up to this issue and control the numbers of carriers and their routes not to remove competition but to ensure that no FlyByNight can come in and decimate the currently operating carriers and then fuck off as quickly as they arrived.

but since the government are a bunch of chimney sweeps, shop keepers and school teachers there as no chance of that! :angry:

With a name like "spanna" are you an engineer?

You've had two goes at pointing it out now. People still seem to be more interested in how it will affect their travel plans. What can they do about job losses? Do you have any sensible suggestions?

Good, another one for my fan club

Archived