Ronaldsway Aircraft was always historically the largest private sector employer

However the figures now are

BA Engineering 110

Other BA staff 176

Ronaldsway 251

Zurich 340

Charterhouse 200

Skandia 350

I think you forgot Strix - which was around the 800 mark in the late 90's.

Edited to add: I think it's about 2 now (and they're both Chinese) - Wong Wey Wey and Fook Yoo Man-Xees

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um - kind of off topic I guess, but just for the record, I think the RBS Group are 2nd or 3rd largest employer on the Island. Not sure if you want to include the civil service or not, but if you look at :-

RBSI

Isle of Man Bank

Coutts

Natwest

And the other little bitty subsidiaries they own too over here, then I think there are around 650-700 people. Ish. Give or take.

As for Spanna's comment about 'never mind the flights what about the people. I do agree that the main priority are the affected staff, but by the same token, people still have to get on and off the Island. And my own experiences with Flybe have also been pretty piss poor. Not to mention the whole not being able to send bags straight through any more. Royal pain in the arse.

Is there a case for a government-owned airline? Sorry if this has already been raised

run along the same lines as government owned power.......budgeted along the same lines as a new hospital......managed like the DTL ?

sounds great ! where do i book :lol:

I bet that most BA maintenance employees on the Island lose their jobs.

thats the big question here really, doesnt alex downie look a bit silly now after backing BA and then oops! they sell up and ship out.

Alex Downie is just plain daft.

It'll be the end of BA for me - I'll now fly Siwss to Manchester or Brum and then hitch a ride with whichever of the Goofy airlines still serve the Island.

Has anyone had experience of taking the first BA flight to Manchester (dep. 0705) connecting with the first Swiss to Zurich (dep. 0845)? Do you think this is a little tight for connections between Terminal 3 and 1?

Has anyone had experience of taking the first BA flight to Manchester (dep. 0705) connecting with the first Swiss to Zurich (dep. 0845)? Do you think this is a little tight for connections between Terminal 3 and 1?

Haven't done this specific connection, but I would agree that it's a bit tight. Best advice that I can offer is not to take any hold luggage if you can avoid it, if you check it in then waiting for it at the other end will cause you to mis you connection. And if you check it through from here then the chances are you won't see it until you get back.

Complete pain in the proverbial as it would also mean taking no toiletries and buying them at your destination as well as being limited to a small amount of luggage. Best to check with the airport to see exactly what the regulations are this week.

I always try to be as pessmistic as possible when flying with ANY airline from ANY airport nowadays, I have been let down way too many times.

I fly via Gatwick to get to Zurich from the Island, that works out OK. Book seperate tickets on BA's website and you'll get better prices and more flexibility.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if it's already been said on this thread somewhere. But I've booked tickets to go on holiday through BA Connect in June/July (IOM - Gatwick - Turkey) and was wondering if these will be affected in any way when the changeover happens? I.e. will Flybe change my flights, will they drop all responsibility of existing customers? Or should the flight times stay the same as it's what we've booked? And if they are affected, will they sort out flights for us or will we have to find new ones ourselves?

Sorry if it's already been said on this thread somewhere. But I've booked tickets to go on holiday through BA Connect in June/July (IOM - Gatwick - Turkey) and was wondering if these will be affected in any way when the changeover happens? I.e. will Flybe change my flights, will they drop all responsibility of existing customers? Or should the flight times stay the same as it's what we've booked? And if they are affected, will they sort out flights for us or will we have to find new ones ourselves?

Sod-all info on Flybe's website, maybe Dan-Dan the DJ man can bring this up on Mandate soon?

Yeah I've tried looking on the net, but no luck. I'm assuming, that because we're a customer of BA Connect that already has flights booked, Flybe will have to take full responsibility of these flights. If Flybe weren't going to do them, then I doubt BA would sell tickets for after March. I dunno...just kind of important as there's a group of us going at different times.

Yeah I've tried looking on the net, but no luck. I'm assuming, that because we're a customer of BA Connect that already has flights booked, Flybe will have to take full responsibility of these flights. If Flybe weren't going to do them, then I doubt BA would sell tickets for after March. I dunno...just kind of important as there's a group of us going at different times.

The deal is still “on” but is taking longer to complete than expected. I suspect the threat of having to repay some/all of £1,000,000+ BA Connect have had in government aid is one the items slowing things down.

FlyBe will operate all BA routes until at least the end of the summer 2007 season – the frequency and timing of flights will remain pretty much as they are at the moment.

Flybe will honour the existing BA Connect booking onto its nearest corresponding flight. If you do not like the flight they offer you, you will not be able to get a refund unless you have a full fare ticket. If they cancel the route completely they will try and transfer you onto another FlyBe service, if that is not acceptable they will be obliged to give you a refund under their terms and conditions.

BA have a q&a section on their website about this sale which I have copied below:

What is this change about?

British Airways has announced that it has reached agreement in principle to sell the regional operation of its subsidiary airline BA Connect to Flybe.

Which flights are impacted by this change?All flights within the ranges BA1600 to BA1999, BA4000 to BA4249, BA4320 to BA4449 and BA7600 to BA7949 are impacted by this change.

Please note that it is intended that all BA Connect operated services to and from London City Airport (BA8700 to BA8769), flights between Manchester and New York (BA1502/1503) and flights operated by British Airways are not impacted by this deal.

What happens if I hold a reservation for an impacted service?

Bookings would remain valid, subject to normal terms and conditions.

Can I use BA.com for making and changing bookings and for departure activities?

Yes during the transition. Whilst the ‘BA’ flight code remains on services customers will be able to make and change bookings, check-in online and use the services of ba.com to book and manage their travel requirements for these services.

What is the transition period?

This will be the period of changeover between the two companies. It is proposed that the transition should be completed by 24 March 2007.

Will my booking be transferred to Flybe’s systems?

No, not initially. A plan for changeover of systems will be developed during the transition period.

What if I do not want to fly on Flybe? Can I claim a refund?

No, unless you are travelling on a fully flexible (‘Y’ class) ticket.

Will Flybe be a member of oneworld?

No.

What would happen to codeshare agreements on BA Connect services?

These would continue until the end of the transition period. Thereafter the new owners would review the continuation of these codeshare agreements.

Where will customers be able to book Flybe services beyond the transition period?

Flybe to announce details in due course.

I am a BA registered customer. What would happen to my information?As a registered customer, you would continue to form part of the British Airways database, and this would not change as part of the proposed transaction. However, if you have flown on a BA Connect flight in the last 18 months, BA Connect Limited will retain your details. As the new owner of BA Connect, Flybe is committed to ensuring that BA Connect continues to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998.

What about services operated by GB Airways from Manchester, East Midlands and Bristol?

Services operated by GB Airways are unaffected by this announcement

Yeah it says 'Bookings would remain valid, subject to normal terms and conditions.' (I've already read that FAQ) just wondering if the flight times/day will change, even slightly. It's mainly because we have 3 different bookings (for people flying to and from Turkey at different times over 3 weeks) so I wouldn't want anyone to end up on a totally different kind of flight time. I can't explain what I mean, but I'm just curious as to whether my flight times and dates will stay the same. Also, I would have to change my time off work if they changed etc.

Archived