Shock News - Tide Goes Out In Heysham

%age

IoM Today

The tide went out in Heysham - shock News.

Geoff Corkish steps in to communicate.

Now that is the sort of guy I want running the country. If he gets voted in he could find himself rather busy in the Ministry of Spin over the next few years. This nice guy really is the master.

Geoff, you have my vote already!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to get stuck in the mud twice in 3 weeks on the Ben a few years ago.

I believe it is something to do with sandbanks that need dredging. When I got stuck, we were heading into Heysham and it was 4am before we arrived - freezing fog I think that was put down to!

I was stuck on the sand in the Ben. It was a very - very low tide that night. What with sands that move as much as they do in the bay - Im surprised it does not happen more often. The Ben followed the Merchant Brilliant out - may its wake, low tide and recent high winds were all contributing factors.

I was woken by the sound of the thrusters trying to free us, but to no avail, as the tide was dropping so fast I was just glad it was a still night.

As Heysham is already a cultural desert, the sands around it are merely responding to the inevitable.

I came home on the BmC on Friday afternoon and was amazed that it was able to sail through the channel from Heysham harbour at all. The place is a disgusting mess (both on land and at sea) and it's high time the Steam Packet found a more appropriate port to sail to.

Very true, You would have thought liverpool would be a better port for a freight ship.

I heard the only reason that the steampacket went there was because the old owner had shares in Heysham port and now it's stuck.

Heysham is, as my dad states quite correctly "The arsehole of nowhere!"

Heysham was owned by Seaco, but now by Mersey Docks and Harbour Company, which in turn is owned by Peel Ports now.

Liverpool is too far away for the Ben to manage 2 sailings a day, even if there was an on river birth it could use it would still take 4 1/2 hours to get there at least....

More dredging may be needed to keep the waterways open.

I personally find Heysham convenient as I travel to the North of England and Scotland on a regular basis with the family. If I had to travel to Liverpool it would add an extra two hours to my journey time minimum.

I personally find Heysham convenient as I travel to the North of England and Scotland on a regular basis with the family. If I had to travel to Liverpool it would add an extra two hours to my journey time minimum.

Since the sea cat is at least 1 hr faster and the journey time from Liverpool to the M6 junction for Heysham is probably about 1to 1.25 hours then I find two hours extra somewhat surprising unless you are cycling. But agree with you re Heysham - a mudbank at the end of the universe but with its own nuclear power station

Heysham is seriously good from my point of view. I'm at Lancaster University which is 5 miles away from Heysham. There are alot of Manx students at Lancaster and the loss of the Heysham route would be a disaster.

Keep it going from Heysham!

Fleetwood would probably be the best (if still possible - the old SPCo used this port quite a lot) - looks nearer than Heysham, well connected by road (+ possibly rail though I've not checked that). The fast craft to Liverpool is asctually best for me (I commute to Guildford once a month) but totally unreliable in winter and often leaves too early for the first bus from Peel.

I hope you got a complimentary sandwich, and maybe a cup of tea.

It's important to maintain the cornerstones of civilisation at all times.

I was on the Seacat Rapide when it broke down, and took 5 hours to get from Douglas to Douglas.

We were all offered £5 food vouchers, what does that buy these days?

I hope you got a complimentary sandwich, and maybe a cup of tea.

It's important to maintain the cornerstones of civilisation at all times.

I was on the Seacat Rapide when it broke down, and took 5 hours to get from Douglas to Douglas.

We were all offered £5 food vouchers, what does that buy these days?

fuck all with the prices on the steam packet.

that won't even get you a sausage bap now...they've about £5.45 i think!

that won't even get you a sausage bap now...they've about £5.45 i think!

The 'All Day Breakfast' used to be £ 5.99 when I worked there - cost price was around 99p. Nice profit margin, if you can get it...

Archived