Shock News - Tide Goes Out In Heysham

%age

that won't even get you a sausage bap now...they've about £5.45 i think!

The 'All Day Breakfast' used to be £ 5.99 when I worked there - cost price was around 99p. Nice profit margin, if you can get it...

the breakfast is £6.75 now.

full prices here...

http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/Onboard-Services/

rip off.

i stand corrected however...you can get a sausage bap with your £5...but you couldn't afford a coffee with it!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all, isn't this potentially serious? A 'modern' passenger-carrying ferry ends up on the mud banks. What if it had been rough and the ship had hit a floating obstacle e.g. lost container etc. or worse still another ship?

Did someone forget to bring the plumbline? Don't they have radar and sonar etc. these days?

Is it just me, or does all of this stink of incompetence? I'd be far happier with the reassurance that 'IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN'. The ability to gloss over things is not a skill I'd like to see encouraged in IOM government.

I had a cabin - so the tea and coffee was free - I took all the biscuits, TV, Tartan throws and the kettle as payment for the hassle.

I quite like Heysham really - after a drive up the motorway - its only a few mins. more to Windermere, its good food stops and views. Then pile back down to the 24hr Asda before going down to the port - the only way fresh fruit, Isle of Man and Steam Packet go together well in the same sentence.

Heysham is seriously good from my point of view. I'm at Lancaster University which is 5 miles away from Heysham. There are alot of Manx students at Lancaster and the loss of the Heysham route would be a disaster.

No it wouldn't! Bloody students :angry:

;)

Heysham is seriously good from my point of view. I'm at Lancaster University which is 5 miles away from Heysham. There are alot of Manx students at Lancaster and the loss of the Heysham route would be a disaster.

No it wouldn't! Bloody students :angry:

dick

A friend who's a world kickboxing champion travelled on the Ben the other day. He said he couldn't believe that some complete a***hole had nicked the TV, the Tartan throws and even the kettle! He said if ever finds out who did it, he'll come back and kick the kick the crap out of the thief. I said I'd make a few enquiries, but I've not had any luck so far..... :ph34r:

Looks like getting stuck in the mud is a more common problem than you'd think: Link

A ship in the mud

Six powerful tugboats and the highest of tides still couldn't make the famed Intrepid aircraft carrier overcome an immovable force - a big stubborn pile of mud.

The 27,000-ton ship was to make a 5-mile journey to Bayonne, N.J., yesterday, and the much-awaited event began with all the pomp and circumstance of a champagne christening.

A crowd of 500, including Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) and former Mayors Ed Koch and David Dinkins, waited with bated breath to see the vessel move for the first time in 25 years.

And move it did - about 15feet before officials finally gave up.

Looks like getting stuck in the mud is a more common problem than you'd think: Link

A ship in the mud

Six powerful tugboats and the highest of tides still couldn't make the famed Intrepid aircraft carrier overcome an immovable force - a big stubborn pile of mud.

The 27,000-ton ship was to make a 5-mile journey to Bayonne, N.J., yesterday, and the much-awaited event began with all the pomp and circumstance of a champagne christening.

A crowd of 500, including Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) and former Mayors Ed Koch and David Dinkins, waited with bated breath to see the vessel move for the first time in 25 years.

And move it did - about 15feet before officials finally gave up.

Been some one living just a few miles away from the port I quiet agree - its a kak hole... in fact the whole area is and its gone down hill which is why I want tocome over there... but thats another story.

The dredgers are out a lot so it must be a big problem how ever I think they are currently using the sand they get and dumping it back on to the beaches as there are trying to rebuild them currently so at least its going to some good use.

That been said - thats a regular route surley there has got to be some way or working out there is a problem other than 'Ooops weve stopped'.

I can't help thinking - how stable is the ship when its on the sand - does it roll ? If it does scary...

Terran

so how does all the global warming and rising sea levels come in, does it mean that the high tides are higher and the low tides are also lower ?

I see the SE1 has got its nose down again, hopefully all fixed now (just as well that they had 4 days off !)

the nose was fixed on monday! it was open yesterday for more work

• 4 months later...

didn't they used to get the old coal fired Mannin to dredge Heysham harbour years ago ? (I remember a BBC NW programme about the chaps who owned it and did a bit of work with it to buy a few tons of coal now and again), I would have thought the channel would be kept navigable by dredging when necessary.

So what about all this global warming stuff and rising sea levels than ? phooey

Archived