Saddam Gets Death Penalty

ans

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't agree with the death penalty, but I understand the concept that if you live by the sword you are likely to die by the sword.

He was a thug who used his arbitary powers to kill hundreds of thousands (if not millions if you count the Iran-Iraq war and his deliberate indifference to, and refusal to act to lift, international sanctions).

He knew the culture he lived in, and knew the consequences of his actions if his enemies got him.

Is this semi-farce of a trial better than a summary bullet in the head? I think it is; although often arbitary and badly organised, the trial had a better standard of justice than 90% of the courts in the Arab world. It will send a message to tyrants, and autocrats.

No great shock in this piece of news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6117910.stm

Wonder if they'll sell passes to a webcast.

Comment: Saddam's fate is sealed but what about those of his accomplices and business partners? Some of the very Neo-Cons that still control the White House today and armed Saddam and enabled him to build up a power base in the first place.

Normally one for the conspircay theories I would have jumped on the "just before the mid-terms" bandwagon.

However what actual glory does this verdict bestow on Bush.....very little IMHO. The guilty verdict was pretty much a foregone conclusion from the day he was captured...I doubt that very little polical capitol can be made from this decision given that its what everyone expected in the first place.

Does it not strike anyone as weird that, this comes two days before the US elections?

Would you at least agree that we have a puppet goverment in iraq?

As ever Lovenotfear you seem to be grasping at simplisities.

Is the Iraqi government a puppet of the US.

Well how about reading these articles: Seattle Times: Iraqi PM orders U.S. to abandon Sadr City checkpoints

Conservative Voice: Hadley Recognizes Maliki-Sadr Government

The situation in Iraq is massively complex and the US doesn't control the government, the insurgents or the militias; and the alliances between these and Iran, Syria and the US are changing the situation day by day.

The Iraqi government has effectively allied itself with Sadr and the Mardi army against US policy. This is not the action of a puppet government and has resulted in the US National Security advisor hot footing it to Baghdad to understand what's going on.

The Iraqi government seems to be rejecting US demands to form a cross community alliance and disarm the militias. What this means for the country and US policy is anyone's guess, but it definitely complicates what Baker was suggesting about getting Iran involved in stabilizing the country. Sadr rejects Iranian influence ... the US doesn't control the situation or who makes policy in Iraq ... only a simpleton would claim they did.

Does it not strike anyone as weird that, this comes two days before the US elections?

Would you at least agree that we have a puppet goverment in iraq?

As ever Lovenotfear you seem to be grasping at simplisities.

Is the Iraqi government a puppet of the US.

Well how about reading these articles: Seattle Times: Iraqi PM orders U.S. to abandon Sadr City checkpoints

Conservative Voice: Hadley Recognizes Maliki-Sadr Government

The situation in Iraq is massively complex and the US doesn't control the government, the insurgents or the militias; and the alliances between these and Iran, Syria and the US are changing the situation day by day.

The Iraqi government has effectively allied itself with Sadr and the Mardi army against US policy. This is not the action of a puppet government and has resulted in the US National Security advisor hot footing it to Baghdad to understand what's going on.

The Iraqi government seems to be rejecting US demands to form a cross community alliance and disarm the militias. What this means for the country and US policy is anyone's guess, but it definitely complicates what Baker was suggesting about getting Iran involved in stabilizing the country. Sadr rejects Iranian influence ... the US doesn't control the situation or who makes policy in Iraq ... only a simpleton would claim they did.

Grasping at simplisities? Lets not forget, I have read " The project for a new american century" and "Operation paperclip" Its not easy being a "simpleton" and I realy hope I am proved wrong always! :)

And I love this 1 http://www.vialls.com/iraq/vaudeville.html

Archived