Tesco Interested In Buying Steam Packet?

Paul H

Sorry, but a trailer on top of a trailer is still less height than a standard 40ft box trailer, the weight of an empty trailer with an empty trailer on top is less than a loaded trailer, so either way (Volume or Weight) IOM Racket have no possible reason to charge for piggybacking other than totally unacceptable greed. Tescos and other companies should complain to the Office of Fair trading imo.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but a trailer on top of a trailer is still less height than a standard 40ft box trailer, the weight of an empty trailer with an empty trailer on top is less than a loaded trailer, so either way (Volume or Weight) IOM Racket have no possible reason to charge for piggybacking other than totally unacceptable greed. Tescos and other companies should complain to the Office of Fair trading imo.

Just to confirm this (IIRC) what skrappey is saying is that double banked flats used to be carried completely FOC on their return journey off the Island. However, I now believe that there is a small charge levied for shipping this item. The Govt has always charged a 'port tax' on these items, so actually the SP were losing on these particular shipments (although making substantially on others of course). It is not the case that the SP used to charge for one, and now charge for two if double banked.

And what is the charge for a standard 40' box trailer compared with a a container or two containers stacked
My latest knowledge (a bit out of date) is that the charge for box trailers is about £55 per metre each way. So that would make it about £1300 return for a standard box. Hauliers do get fairly significant volume discounts though, so that would certainly have an impact.

The SP do not ship containers, only propelled freight or dropped trailers. However, flat trailers, as per the original comment are charged differently, but again IIRC can still come in at around £600 each. Used to be carried FOC if double banked, but this has obviously changed.

I believe Spurs will win the Premiership.

You have to believe.... in something.....

If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.

If you believe there's nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool.

...but didn't Macquarie put the IOMSPCo into a special purpose vehicle with some other "infrastructure" companies and try and off-load the whole lot on the stock market recently but they didn't 'cos there wasn't the demand ..or something like that???

Indeed, we need answers here!

Steam Packet Freight Charges may have increased over the years.. but as of two years ago.. it was £45/Metre + VAT @ 17.5%, that was also charged for doubling up

With current oil costs I would 'guesstimate' that this price will now be in the region of £60/metre + VAT

"Vehicle Measurement Limitations

Please ensure that your vehicle adheres to the limitations detailed. If not, you may not be permitted on board the vessel.

Ben-my-Chree: Height: 2.5 metres. Length Single vehicle: 10 metres. Vehicle towing trailer: 10 metres. Width 2.0 metres. Maximum Weight: less than 5 tonnes. Larger Vehicles

"

bear in mind that Tesco Trailers are tri-axled (approx 38ft in length and a GTW (Gross Train Weight of 38 tonnes) and if travelling on a Tuesday night (dangerous Goods Sailing from Heysham to Isle of Man) the cost is increased!

Archived