Brenda Cannell, Candidate For Douglas East

Charles Flynn

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a Liberal is our Brenda and also a bit of a fag-ash Lil' as I see her most mornings driving the car with a hastily lit ciggie ding dang doodling out of the side of her mouth.

Pubs Clubs and Bars

Many of our hospitality facilities may be forced to close if the new LAW ON SMOKING IN ENCLOSED PUBLIC SPACES does not provide for some flexibility in the Regulations (yet to be drafted).

Negotiations are under way with the Government Analyst to agree a protocol for the testing of brand new technology which claims to remove harmful tobacco emissions from the atmosphere. Trials would be carried out in three of the Islands smokiest pubs. If the technology proved successfull, I would then support provision being made in the Regulations for its introduction into certain Pubs, Clubs and Bars throughout the Island. If we can manage this problem in a non-discriminatory way I believe we should do so for the benefit of those persons who do not smoke and to satisfy those who choose to do so.

I don't want to start a smoking/anti-smoking thread just yet, but I really disagree with this. The nicotine addicts were given the chance to be nice people in bars when the no-smoking at the bar rule was introduced. What a farce that turned out to be and it showed just how arrogant many smokers really are in the pursuit of their disgusting habit.

And there's only one ' l ' in successful

and Island' s

Although seen by some as a small point, I liked this one:

Change of Lieutenant Governor’s name - I opposed.

Now, where's me list of the buggars that voted to change the name . . . . . . . ..

I don't want to start a smoking/anti-smoking thread...

Well please don't then. There's plenty of other places to do so...and I'll agree to not to continue it on behalf of smokers and their rights to congregate etc. etc.

Let's agree these that single issues don;t make an election.

Bit of a Liberal is our Brenda and also a bit of a fag-ash Lil' as I see her most mornings driving the car with a hastily lit ciggie ding dang doodling out of the side of her mouth.

Well at least she chooses to do it in the privacy of her own car

Anyway back to the thread

Regarding desperately trying to appease fellow nicotine addicts in pubs:

The only suitable state of the art device to allow smokers to continue their acts in pubs would be a huge spaceman type of helmet with a big pipe that exhausts to the outside. Preferably above roof level.

Either that or they just aquire some socially acceptable backbone and don't smoke in public places.

Either that or they just don't continue their dirty filthy disgusting habit in the presence of non-smokers. Aye lad, their own car is perfectly acceptable for that purpose. I agree.

I must say however, Mrs C will get my vote regardless. Don't ye worry about that Louis.

The only suitable state of the art device to allow smokers to continue their acts in pubs would be a huge spaceman type of helmet with a big pipe that exhausts to the outside. Preferably above roof level.

With the added advantage that we couldn't hear you when you were wearing it. Brilliant idea!

The only main thing I picked out of Mr's Cannells manifesto was on Crime.

Mr's Cannells approuch is the same as most manifesto's I've read and that is We need more Bobbies on the beat. Also Mr's Cannell mentions the Moral of the Police Force.

I personally think the Police do the best they can with the resources availible but no matter how hard and with what strenght they try to sort out the violence and crime commited by the few, the Court still have a soflty softly approuch in Sentencing, imo. This should be sorted out first as this dimoralises the Bobbies on the Beat and pisses off the many.

Not to bad a Manifesto on the whole though.

Not only will I not be voting for Mrs Cannell, I've been actively encouraging people in the constituency to vote for the other candidates, particularly people who don't usually bother to vote. As I've lived in Douglas East for 25 years in total, I know a few people too. I don't have any interest in politics, but I hope this awful woman doesn't get re-elected.

Well I'm afraid she has worked her charms on me and with witchcraft not being illegal these days, what's wrong with that . . . . .

I guess I must have sold my soul or something.

In reply to Ans -

And for what reasons do you seem to be so against having her re-elected?

I am almost certain that if you have ever approached her with a problem she would do her best to help you out, which is a great deal more than what a lot of other MHKs would do.

She was elected to represent her people, and this is what she does. Shes not in it for the money or any of the other bonuses one may get being an MHK.

You are never going to entirely agree with every desision an MHK makes, but comparing her with the rest of the MHKs; especially 'the other one' in East Douglas; she does a damn sight more work for her people!

I praise the work and effort she puts into her job, and would rather an open and honest representative in government than a bunch of cowards and sheep!

Archived