Quintin Gill's Manifesto

Declan

Just got Quintin Gill's manifesto.

Here is my summary of its main points -

"In 2001 I was lucky enough to be elected an MHK. That's super. Still can't quite believe it, but I'd like to give it another go.

Well I've been jolly busy these last five years. First I made the tea in the Education Department and then it was off to Home Affairs where I reviewed things. Now I'm the Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading - I'm like the Island's answer to Anne Robinson (only without the wonky eye). In the OFT a built on my experience in Education and Home Affairs by reviewing the tea rota. Gosh it's all go, here I can tell you!

In 2001 I said we should have a Government Ombudsman - we haven't got one, but we are looking at it.

I'm an Independent Back Bench MHK, and I see myself as a "critical friend" of the Government. Not like some others I could mention.

Mount Murray, consulting the public about the speed limit and smoking, reforming local government, the Child Care Comission inquiry, freedom to flourish, the pension crisis and the MEA have highlighted how utterly not very good they are. I also think they are very poor indeed at shouting about their success stories, like er, 650 first time buyers house by 2009.

Immigration and Emmigration - we need it. I served on the Council of Minsiters Social Issues Committee, we looked at the Residence Act - it's rubbish.

Over the Horizon - The UK should withdraw from the EU. The IOM should foster more links with the UN, OCED, IMF, MFI, XTC, and FHM. This is a good thing and I'll go if everyone else is busy.

The Economy - good. But we should keep an eye on it.

In Rushen - Everything's good. But it would be nice if there were facilities for young people.

Final Thoughts - Elections are a time to reflect. Too many candidates play the "Claim and Blame" game. Not me. I would not do that, not like some members who avoid responsibility and just snipe. You know who I'm talking about.

There are lessons to learn from the past, but I think it is important to remember that everything is going swimmingly.

Vote QG!"

What did you expect Declan - a cure for cancer?

I remember a chap who used to write a lot late at night on here - he said he was working on one of them.

The claim was made during his more lucid moments too.

Sound somewhat more compelling than the stuff MY candidates in Douglas have been spouting.

What did you expect Declan - a cure for cancer? An answer to third-world poverty?

Well the general impression that the candidate's head wasn't in the clouds.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound somewhat more compelling than the stuff MY candidates in Douglas have been spouting.

What did you expect Declan - a cure for cancer? An answer to third-world poverty?

Well the general impression that the candidate's head wasn't in the clouds.

How did the candidate give this impression?

It was a good manifesto in my opinion. Not the best, but pretty good.

Archived