Independence

batman

Should Scotland be given total independence from Britain?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Scotland got its Independance, would it supply it's own army for security or would it hire one in from somewhere?

I think if it were to get Independance it would be no different from the Isle Of Man, lots of people thinking there in a position of power sitting around a table talking absolute bollox., but to make any sort of major decision they would have to ask the United Kingdoms permission. Just like the Isle Of Man.

guess that depends on whether or not they choose to stay loyal to the crown or, to elect for total independence and have a president.

Then they would surely need an army of some description.

I doubt they could be bothered with there own. If they chose to use the British army then they would have to pay for it, probably with there independance.

If they chose another countries army It would be the same, they would pay with there independance.

I really couldn't see the United Kingdom being happy if another countries army was moved in.

Well, they might be able to do some sort of reciprocal deal. I know the RAF were had bases up in Scotland (not sure if they still do). There's a submarine base up there too I believe, although I'm not too sure if any of the army units are based there. I guess there could be a sufficient force permanently based there if they get the opportunity to use the land/territorial waters for training purposes.

There are lots of oil and gas fields off the Scottish coast too.

I'm sure they'd strike some sort of deal with London to secure their safety and security.

Well the Republic of Ireland seem to manage without the British army. And the former Soviet Republics must have found an answer to this question.

It would probably be like in a divorce. England would get to keep the RAF, SAS, the Navy, the Marines, and the Paras. Scotland would get the Grenadier Guards and the Celine Dion cds.

It would probably be like in a divorce. England would get to keep the RAF, SAS, the Navy, the Marines, and the Paras. Scotland would get the Grenadier Guards and the Celine Dion cds.

I'd imagine the Scots would get the Scots Guards rather than the Grenadiers ;)

Even if the Scots got independance from British govern, it's most likely that the defence (as is the case here) is provided by HM Armed Forces.

The airspace around Scotland is certainly under UK control albeit defined as the Scottish FIR (Flight Information Region) and I would imagine the the waters around the place are under similar classification.

(To answer a previous question: There are still RAF & RN bases up there ! )

I don't think defence is the thing in question really - the key element is that they want rid of having laws imposed on them by Washington....erm.... Westminster.

Can't say I blame in light of recent events either but my vote goes with "up to them"

I don't think we should split apart. Scotlands strength has always been as part of the UK. Britain has had quite a few Scottish prime ministers, we have never held anything against them, they have always been able to rise up the ranks. Why spilt away??

I don't think defence is the thing in question really - the key element is that they want rid of having laws imposed on them by Washington....erm.... Westminster.

Can't say I blame in light of recent events either but my vote goes with "up to them"

They are already more autonomous than other regions of the UK though - notice how many times on the news etc they talk about figures for England & Wales - Scotland has it's own.

If Scotland got full independence now, Labour would lose the 55 seats they won at the 2001 general election, against the Tory's 1 and Lib Dems 5, meaning a much reduced majority. Mind you, looking at how the voting went overall by number of voters, the Labour lead over the Tories was only 9% overall - this computes to a 246 seat majority. Shows how the seats are spread, I suppose!

Voted - it's up to the Scottish, seems most obvious choice.

"Aye Hamish, have ya seen ma new tatoo??? - Free Scotland, awww f*ck we are free, aye'll heeve tee change it"

"ooohhh nooo, wheat the fack we ginnee sing aboot noo?, that's 300 years of museec in tha bin".

• 3 weeks later...

The English taut them to read and write and eat withnives and forks after all.

Maybe one day the isle of Man will get scotland back again.

Archived