[BBC News]Manx 'stabit' landmark is removed

Newsbot

Thta's a shame, that lump of concrete won me many bets, nobody would believe it weighed so much.

I know it mentions the weight on the bbc site, but I dont believe it, What fundamental evidence is there?

I think its more like 2 tons, and there was a typo. It looks a maximum of 6 tons.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely that memorial should stay in remembrance of all those hundreds of men who died creating that super-human feat on engineering that is the breakwater

As far as I can remember only one man died in the construction of the breakwater and he drank himself to death with his pay-off when the project was completed.

Shame, he was one of the great Manx characters. I remember him telling someone to "Get off my rock" because they were English.

Surely that memorial should stay in remembrance of all those hundreds of men who died creating that super-human feat on engineering that is the breakwater

As far as I can remember only one man died in the construction of the breakwater and he drank himself to death with his pay-off when the project was completed.

Shame, he was one of the great Manx characters. I remember him telling someone to "Get off my rock" because they were English.

LOL, Its a pity no-one reminded him.... That we are in IRISH SEA.... with approx 1/4 of Ireland (as an Island) being BRITISH..... (Mups, DUCKS OUT OF THE WAY)

As opposed to 'Britain' as an island with approx 1/3 of it being 'English'?

What you trying to say Mupster?

LOL, Its a pity no-one reminded him.... That we are in IRISH SEA.... with approx 1/4 of Ireland (as an Island) being BRITISH..... (Mups, DUCKS OUT OF THE WAY)

Well I would have paid good money to watch somebody remind him of that. His debates were usually short, loud and ended on the pavement outside the pub.

You have to remember that this was back in the good old days before illigal immigrants, drugs etc when policemen were on the beat and we still had the birch.

When drunk driving was a national sport, street crime was known as "fighting" and murders were less than one a year.

They've probably moved the stabbit from the sea terminal because the D.O.T have probably spent a small fortune on a concrete three legs of man or something like that.

Pfft.

You have to remember that this was back in the good old days ......

When drunk driving was a national sport, street crime was known as "fighting" and murders were less than one a year.

Oh that takes me back. Nothing better than 10 points of Okells, a good scrap, and then cram 10 people into Ford Cortina to get back from Port Soderick.

We've just gone too PC these days.

At least then if you had a scrap it was with a good Manx piss-head who bought you a pint the week after. Not like now when you get the sh*t kicked out of you by 6 Poles because you apparently looked at them funny and wake up in casualty with half your body missing.

Oh how times have changed!

Oh that takes me back. Nothing better than 10 points of Okells, a good scrap, and then cram 10 people into Ford Cortina to get back from Port Soderick.

In my day, it was exactly the same, even a Cortina (Mk 1), only it was from the Alex Inn. Always a fight outside in the car park, often ending in the pond. Then lifts for about 8 'girls' in the Cortina, passing an overturned car at the bottom of the Richmond most weeks, and into town to the Cassy to make it the round dozen.

We've just gone too PC these days.

At least then if you had a scrap it was with a good Manx piss-head who bought you a pint the week after. Not like now when you get the sh*t kicked out of you by 6 Poles because you apparently looked at them funny and wake up in casualty with half your body missing.

Oh how times have changed!

In the days when the marine drive was open you could expect at least one fatality between the Port Soderick and the Lido per winter.

Anyone know which MHK narrowly escaped with his life after accepting a lift back to Douglas many moons ago ?

• 1 year later...
no but it's kind of cool that the thing has a big link to the Island

It looks as though the Bruce anchor, donated by Shell, (two kind of interesting if maybe not cool links) may be going the same way ie going. I like 'real' things like these - almost industrial heritage monuments - and I don't like big plastic falsies!

Can someone explain why the stabit was "in the way"?

It seems that someone, somewhere, wants to remove every vestige of heritage, old or new, that we may have had.

Oh, yes, let's have a scutch of segulls instead.

Archived