[BBC News]Manx 'stabit' landmark is removed

Newsbot

perhaps we could think of a new place for it. how about on top the seagul in the harbour, or may be you have a favourite politician you would like to tie to it and see if it will float in the bay. or we could put it the middle of one of bruce hannays roundabouts. even better just put it in the middle of a road and that way BH would have the chance to build another another roundabout so that the traffic can get round it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks as though the Bruce anchor, donated by Shell, (two kind of interesting if maybe not cool links) may be going the same way ie going.

It was actually donated by Peter Bruce, the guy who makes them.

Hmmm....

I thought Mr Bruce made these and sold them to, amongst others, Shell. The one on South Quay I understood was obtained from within the group and donated by Shell Ship Management Services from Castletown? Either way, two Manx links.

(I also believe the reason Shell gave it away was because it was 'worn out' - obviously a lot more to anchors than one might think?)

It seems that someone, somewhere, wants to remove every vestige of heritage, old or new, that we may have had.

While others strive to preserve every eyesore that the Victorians/Edwardians ever built.

Archived