Poppy Day

Albert Tatlock

I would ask that you make that poppy white.

The white poppy has not been hijacked by religions and the funds do not go to churches.

It was introduced by the Womens Cooperative Guild and taken over by the Peace Pledge Union. It is still produced and sold by the PPU.

It is meant as a true act of remembrance, that war on the scale of the past, or any war, never be waged again.

It remembers all war dead, of every war, of every nation and of every side, including the civilians.

The red poppy means many different things to many, but it cannot be denied that it is seen by many as British, imperialist, and racist and something that only remembers the military dead and injured of the Britain and, grudgingly, the commonwealth.

In the days of a welfare state it is shocking that ex service men still have to depend on charity, 85 years on from its founding (poppies were introduced in time for Rememebrance day 1921) it terrifies me that we have forgoten so much, that we are still the second largest arms exporter in the world, exporting WMD, and small arms, and everything in between to points of conflict everywhere and anywhere.

The aims of the two poppies are not irreconcilable, they should be sold side by side so people can choose what to buy. They should be made by the RBL workshops instead of the work being refused. The white poppy started after widows and daughters of WW1 war dead asked the RBL to imprint on the lack button in the centre of the poppies the words "no more war" The RBL refused.

The one thing we should all remember is

No more war. It must never be allowed to happen again.

Lets do it in our own ways. BUT don't assume that red poppies are 100% acceptable or that to some segments of the community they are not highly offensive. Don't assume either that white poppies are a cop out.

Lets remember that 2001 to 2010 is the UN decade of peace. I would have no problem wearing a white poppy all year round and a red one now.

Lets ensure it doesn't become a fleeting symbol, in either case, taken up by the gliteratti and then dropped like the red aids ribbon was.

To learn more, visit here

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/early/poppy3_early_years.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise this is a serious thread but I just couldn't resist. Somehow I was reminded of this Simpsons episode:

World Without Lawyers

When Lionel Hutz successfully defends Marge of stealing in the Kwiki Mart, Bart had a new idol. He wanted to be a lawyer, for it was such a great thing to do. Lionel Hutz replies, "Imagine a world without lawyers!" This video takes a bite at the lawyers!

post-1345-1163241480_thumb.jpg

Two guys are going to attempt 2 laps of the TT course in 24 hours from Saturday 11am to Sunday 11am, setting off at the Grandstand and finishing at the War Memeorial.

Manx Radio Report

I wish them all the very best, but I would be amazed if they complete it.

Phil finished the two laps on Sunday morning at 9:30.

Two guys are going to attempt 2 laps of the TT course in 24 hours from Saturday 11am to Sunday 11am, setting off at the Grandstand and finishing at the War Memeorial.

Manx Radio Report

Its only 75 miles, 24 hrs is loads to finish that in. All arms Commando Course is 30 miles accross dartmoor in 8 hours and thats not much of a strain at all.

Its totally doable IMO, the only thing i can see being a pain is having to tab on the hard standing for that long is a nightmare on the shins.

Lets hope they made alot of cash for a very worthy cause.

EDIT: missed the second page :P

When I was younger I remember going on parade as a Brownie.

Some people said we should not wear the poppy with our uniform.

Does anyone know if there is a reason behind this?

I always did and still do wear my poppy with my uniform

I always did and still do wear my poppy with my uniform

You still wear a Brownie uniform??? :o

I should have seen that coming.

Im now a brownie and guide leader so i wear a guider uniform.......but I do have an old style (jeff banks) tshirt I wear. I love it!

Jeff Banks? Old Style? I don't think so.

I can still remember my little yellow tie and chocloate coloured cotton brownie dress with a hem rolled up so many times it was like wearing a hoola-hoop.

Dib Dib!

Im now a brownie and guide leader so i wear a guider uniform.......but I do have an old style (jeff banks) tshirt I wear. I love it!

Manx Radio Report

Its only 75 miles, 24 hrs is loads to finish that in. All arms Commando Course is 30 miles accross dartmoor in 8 hours and thats not much of a strain at all.

Its totally doable IMO, the only thing i can see being a pain is having to tab on the hard standing for that long is a nightmare on the shins.

Lets hope they made alot of cash for a very worthy cause.

75 miles is a long, long way. Under these conditions it is not simply 2½ times 30 miles and thus 2½ times 8 hours. After 30/40/50 miles the body will be aching and there's not a lot that will beat it. Contrary to what someone said on the radio, the 30lb back pack will seem to get exponentially heavier as you go. You won't ever forget it is there!

It was always an ambitious thing to do.

Maybe a challenge has now be set for future years! Thankfully, I am too old and knackered to even think about taking up such a challenge.

10 years ago though . . . . .

Regarding the debate on red/white poppies, I can quite honestly say that I have NEVER seen anybody wearing or selling white poppies. Not on the Isle of Man or in the UK.

I have worn a poppy since I was old enough to have the money to buy one. My junior school had a headmaster who was a WWII ex-soldier and positively encouraged us to purchase one and wear it with pride, my high school had a headmaster who was not ex-military but encouraged the wearing of poppies, and during my 9 years army service they were pretty much compulsory (The red part of the poppy was worn on the beret behind the Corps badge).

Whatever anybody may have to say about the legitimacy of the red poppy, I can say from personal experience that the services provided by the Royal British Legion to ex-soldiers is absolutely invaluable and totally irreplaceable. Successive UK governments have ignored both the mental and physical problems endured by ex-military personnel and believe that sweeping them under the carpet is the best option.

If the funds raised from red poppies were to diminish in any way due to publicity for any other type of alternative symbol, the consequences would be direct and widely experienced by a huge number of people who rely on the help and assistance provided by these funds.

I don't always agree with the opinions expressed by Albert Tatlock, but on this issue I am totally on his side.

Jeff Banks? Old Style? I don't think so.

I can still remember my little yellow tie and chocloate coloured cotton brownie dress with a hem rolled up so many times it was like wearing a hoola-hoop.

Dib Dib!

I wore the brown dress when I was a brownie but the jeff banks uniform is way out of date now!

Ive never heard a brownie say dib dib!

I would ask that you make that poppy white.

The white poppy has not been hijacked by religions and the funds do not go to churches.

It was introduced by the Womens Cooperative Guild and taken over by the Peace Pledge Union. It is still produced and sold by the PPU.

It is meant as a true act of remembrance, that war on the scale of the past, or any war, never be waged again. ...

snip..

No more war. It must never be allowed to happen again.

To me this is like saying that houses must never be allowed to catch fire again, or that they should not be allowed to be burgled anymore. Or that cars should not be allowed to crash.

I can honestly say the having completed all 4 'Commando tests' in 1999 serving for 6 years in the Royal Marines and being one of the two that took on the challenge of trying to complete 2 laps of the course between the 11am Sat till the 11am Sunday I can comment on how hard it is.

To say that doing the tt course is quite easy, as you only get 8 hours to the 30 miler not really fair.

For one, you run most of the flat and down hill on the 30 miler. If you did this on the concrete of the tt course you would either get shin splints or sttress fractures. Add to this that I did the first lap in 9 1/2 hours with the full weight (for 31 miles anyway) which is not far of '30 miler' pace. However from ballacraine on the 2nd lap I was forced to swop my boots for my brothers trainers (which I had never worn) as my feet and shins felt as though they had been beaten with a baseball bat!

Also anyone who has been on Dartmour would know about how harsh the weather can be, well on the mountain on lap 1 the winds were gale force straight into my face. This was why I had to put the weight in the support car as I was unable to stand with the bergen on.

The idea behind this challenge was to try and highlight the roll of The Royal British Legion. I think that if you were to ask most young people today what the legion was, they would probably say somewhere for world war vets to go and drink cheap bitter. This is entirely wrong. They represent the best interests of all servicemen/woman currently serving or past. If you get injured in any way they will fight for compensation with legal aid as well as being a support network for ex-sevicemen/woman.

We also managed to raise of £3,000 to split evenly between 3 charitys. Hospice Care, The Royal British Legion and Connor Steventon.

A very big thank you to all that supported especially the support cars..........

Archived