Poppy Day

Albert Tatlock

The idea behind this challenge was to try and highlight the roll of The Royal British Legion. I think that if you were to ask most young people today what the legion was, they would probably say somewhere for world war vets to go and drink cheap bitter. This is entirely wrong. They represent the best interests of all servicemen/woman currently serving or past. If you get injured in any way they will fight for compensation with legal aid as well as being a support network for ex-sevicemen/woman.

We also managed to raise of £3,000 to split evenly between 3 charitys. Hospice Care, The Royal British Legion and Connor Steventon.

A very big thank you to all that supported especially the support cars..........

Brilliant effort and its you who should be thanked.

Well done

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever anybody may have to say about the legitimacy of the red poppy, I can say from personal experience that the services provided by the Royal British Legion to ex-soldiers is absolutely invaluable and totally irreplaceable. Successive UK governments have ignored both the mental and physical problems endured by ex-military personnel and believe that sweeping them under the carpet is the best option.

If the funds raised from red poppies were to diminish in any way due to publicity for any other type of alternative symbol, the consequences would be direct and widely experienced by a huge number of people who rely on the help and assistance provided by these funds.

I don't always agree with the opinions expressed by Albert Tatlock, but on this issue I am totally on his side.

I would say we the UK has a pretty shitty system in the way of caring for its war wounded.

The people who get the country into a war in the first place should be the ones who sort out how to care for those who are injured. I think the current system should be replaceable and made so if the care given to ex-service personnel is all all or mainly charity. I am not saying there is anything wrong with having any charitiable organisation but isn't it about time that the government did something more.

I don't understand why I, personally, should feel any pride over wearing a poppy. I wore mine in acknowledgement of those who died in war, especially wars that were largely avoidable and not justifiable - such as WW1. Whereas the Second World War has its idealism and sacrifice in order to prevent invasion I can think of little else where I can feel pride at others apparently fighting a war on my behalf. Nevertheless, I wear the poppy in thought of the dead.

Archived