Come on and let me know

Should I cool it or should I blow?

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So you gotta let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

LOL.... appropriate somehow.

Ned is about to play his trump card, Its called the get out of Jail free card. Come the 19 October the whole case may be over, If Ned is to make a statement in Tynwald he is fully protected under Parliamently Privilege, what this means is that if Ned says or causes any information to be discussed that relate to any ongoing legal action it would then become subjudice, causing any legal action that is ongoing to be dismissed by the courts. Ned then walks free.

Its been quite clear to many that Ned was hoping that the Builders would be the ones to cause subjudice, but the stance of no comment by them has back fired on him.

...what this means is that if Ned says or causes any information to be discussed that relate to any ongoing legal action it would then become subjudice, causing any legal action that is ongoing to be dismissed by the courts. Ned then walks free...

Possible, but don't forget that the Attourney General clearly stated in Tynwald that Matters that were sub justice could be discussed in the court due to his belief that Judges (in the case of legal proceedings) were unswayed by opinion or public debate and would rule entirely on the facts as presented before them at that time.

I agree that Tynwald Privileges are being used for the benefit of the statement, especially as the local papers have on numerous occasions quoted that other information was discussed (in interviews) but couldn't be reported due to legal reasons. I'm not sure what more he feels he has to add at this time other than "business as usual".

Other MHKs will have questions that they will wish to ask of the CM, but as this statement will be made in it's own right, the Speaker of the House will remind them that the CM is not obliged to answer them.

He may choose to "thank his honourable friends" if they make supportive comments about his statement, but can hide behind the Speaker if the flames are attempted to be stoked by those wishing honest answers to serious allegations.

I am sure we can expect him to repeat his "harm to the good Government of the Island and the good work that he is doing... blah blah blah" meanderings.

Will he stay or will he go? Tune into Tynwald Live, Tuesday 19th October on Manx Radio.

This post was a more or less off the cuff comment as Manx Radio usually only transmit Question Time.

I see in the Order Papers that he CM's Personal Statement will directly follow Questions, so maybe it will be transmitted on the radio as other matters of National importance (such as the Cancellation of the TT in 2001) sometimes are.

IOM Online:

A number of errors were made in the processing of the Corkills' application, said Mr McGreal, the most significant being the division of the proposed Ballacain project into two separate grant applications.

This was because part of the project was subject to a planning appeal. The DTL advised the couple to submit two grant applications so work on the first phase at Ballacain could go ahead while the planning issue was resolved.

Bull s**t! (If I remember correctly)

According to the Minutes of Onchan Comissoners meetings, when the first part of the development was applied for, the commisioners agreed to oppose the development as it was adjoining am industrial unit (workshop). The following month they reversed their opposition due to clarification being received that the motor trade that had existed in the unit had already ceased and that the former workshop would ONLY be used as a storage facility.

It was only some months later the application for conversion of the workshop was read in the Commisioners meeting, a totally seperate application.

If anything, the memo published on the IOM Online website shows that the 2 applications should have been a single development and only a single grant should have been applicable.

If a single application had been submitted as per the IOM Online revelation, then the development wouldn't have been opposed as it would be obvious that the workshop was no longer an ongoing business.

Then again the taxpayers wouldn't have stumped up for 2 grants.

Edit: Typos

What a load of propaganda type crap!

Oh they wouldn't possibly have been aware that the ceiling for a grant was £50k would they? And they couldn't possibly realise they had been paid effectively twice could they? Nooooo..... you would have to be switched on to matters relating to finance to pick up those 'little' administrative errors.

What a load of bollocks.

Another thing that irritates me is that Ned has given a number of interviews over the past months which appeared in the papers with the addition "CM made other comments that we can not report due to legal proceedings"

Then all of a sudden, the day before the CM stands up in Tynwald to address the house, the paper publish a "Confidential memo" which appears to try and clear the CM of any wrong doing.

Coincidence of timing?

Then all of a sudden, the day before the CM stands up in Tynwald to address the house, the paper publish a "Confidential memo" which appears to try and clear the CM of any wrong doing.

Ripsaw, is there a link to this memo anywhere?

Archived