Megathread - Business As Usual - Ned

RC-Drift.com

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eh?? I said IRONY, not IRONING dear

Oooo, look at the time... Gotta run for my bus 

Oh I thought it was another one of your typo's..... I have an iron yes - but only you use it....... :rolleyes:

Is that the time already?? Catch you later huneeeeey... What's for tea tonight by the way?

Kisses :wub:

Off again

It is so very romantic to have a little 'thing' going on on the forums. I can still remember when Mr & Mrs Addie ran for buses and one of us noticed what was for Tea.

Now we can't run and have Dinner and it's not half as much fun.

Me wipes away a nostalgic tear

/ Back on

Some time ago, I queried with a friend in the building trade (of the shirt and tie type) about not building to plans and as I understand it (cop out clause alert!) the client submits plans for approval, planning stamp them (eventually) to say okally dokally.

The client employs a builder and instructs him on the work that is required.

The client may, or may not instruct in accordance with the approved plans, the builder works to the client's instructions, not the plans.

Although the builder will has access to the approved plans, he works to the clients instructions. If the client says put a door where the plans show a window then the builder installs a door.

It is the client's responsibility to have all work correctly approved, not the builder.

It is the client's responsibility to have all work correctly approved, not the builder.

Any competent builder would ensure he had written instruction detailing any change (before carrying out additional works) as this would constitute a change to the works and his original quotation. A cowboy builder or the like would no doubt just do what he was told and take his wedge (or try to take his wedge).

Geo

Ripsaw, good post.

The client has responsibility, because er, he is the client. The builder is the builder.

The white collars in the Construction Industry on the Island are watching the legal beagles on this one all right!!

On a lighter note. I'm glad we mentioned buses because it gives me a chance to show off the cover of Vol 34 No 326 of Buses magazine. (No this is not Have I got News For You).

Don't worry, I'll be putting the article on "Buses in Port Erin" on a website.

Anorakly yours (buses and Construction Industry)

JS from Laxey

post-514-1101211645_thumb.jpg

Any competent  builder would ensure he had written instruction detailing any change (before carrying out additional works) as this would constitute a change to the works and his original quotation.  A cowboy builder or  the like would no doubt just do what he was told and take his wedge (or try to take his wedge).

Maybe the builders were niave to accept the contract on a "gentleman's agreement" and therefore not have a legally binding contract "to change" as the work progressed, but that makes him lacking in the business sense, not lacking competance.

The builder, all builders, all tradesmen work to the client's instruction. If the client (who in this case just happens to run the country) asks for a change of design you don't expect them to go legal on the fact that it costs extra to make the changes.

The work, including the variations to the plans were passed o a high standard of workmanship, the rooms have been given habbitation certificates (or whatever certificate B&B's receive).

Just to simplify it... Do cafes "get it in writting" if you ask for an extra sausage on your plate or do they happily add to the final bill and expect to be paid for it?

Forget that sausages cost 50p and developments cost thousands of pounds, the law is the law when it comes to payment for services rended, the value is irrelevant.

Total paid £240k of which the DTL paid £92k, so the owner has only paid £148k for four new properties

I am now getting seriously confused here. Is it

1. 240k paid to the builders by the Department of Tourism & Leisure or the client?

2. 148k paid to the builders by the Department of Tourism & Leisure or the client?

3. 92k paid to the builder by the Department of Tourism & Leisure?

4. 92k paid to the client by the Department of Tourism & Leisure?

Total paid £240k of which the DTL paid £92k, so the owner has only paid £148k for four new properties

I am now getting seriously confused here. Is it

1. 240k paid to the builders by the Department of Tourism & Leisure or the client?

2. 148k paid to the builders by the Department of Tourism & Leisure or the client?

3. 92k paid to the builder by the Department of Tourism & Leisure?

4. 92k paid to the client by the Department of Tourism & Leisure?

The builder has been paid to date £240k from the client, the client got £92k from DTL

Archived