North Quay/Bank Hill

Amadeus

it's for the 'Road Rage' sufferers that tend to take off like 'Screaming Lord Such' when turning down Banks Hill, it aids those that suddenly realise that they are rapidly approaching the rear end of a vehicle and have very litttle braking distance and in preperation for the Roads Closing when you get 4 mm of Snow.. lol

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was just about the only place on the island where traffic lights worked as they are meant to, ensuring a fairly regular flow of traffic.

Obviously the DoT had to remove them. They can't have their other piss poor traffic management schemes shown up as the shite they are

I wasn't aware that they had removed them ( having mentioned in another post that I have not been to the Island in two years ).. I have to agree, that was the best idea some 'numbnuts' behind a desk actually got right!.. Having said that, as far as I was aware (prior to leaving the Island) the Bridge leading to the Old Castletown Road was to be 'Closed' on a permanent basis; access being that of the 'Swing Bridge' only?

Things change I will admit and not always for the best

A round about should be put at the bottom of bank hill, URGENTLY!!!

Just what we need - another excuse of a roundabout so everyone can sit and stare at each other "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" style :)

The 'stuff' is indeed Shellgrip and its use is essential as it adds about 10mph to the speed at which I can safely corner ;) although it seems to have the opposite effect on most drivers I have the misfortune to follow, who now go slower on a much grippier road surface!! We want more of it as its smell is sweeter than anything following a brown trouser moment :D

I've posted before about this junction, whilst it's not a death trap, it certainly doesn't work.

If you are in the left lane to continue across the bridge or North Quay, you just cannot see anything coming from Tesco's if anything beyond a moped is in the right lane. If they stay put, is it because something is coming from the right or because they can't cross to turn right? You don't have a clear view down to the little roundabout to make that judgement; the camber is just wrong.

Then when you have queried whether it is clear from the right, before you exit you have to check to the left to make sure either a taxi isn't dropping-off at Clinch's or someone hasn't slowed right down to go over the hump.

Add to that the entrance to the VAT office car park, the lack of clear markings for those less frequent visitors from the south to show that you should proceed around the roundabout by the bus station entrance before travelling along North Quay and not cross the cobble stone division outside the Railway and it is a right bugger's muddle.

If you are in the left lane to continue across the bridge or North Quay, you just cannot see anything coming from Tesco's if anything beyond a moped is in the right lane.

and if you're in the right lane, there's a bloody great brick gatepost (or similar, haven't looked lately) that blocks your view of traffic from the same direction!

• 2 weeks later...

YAY! Ramsey now has some of this wonderous stuff - the hazard in question? A pedestrian crossing - must be a really shit piece of road judging by the length of tarmac they've covered in the stuff - funny that, I've never had any issues stopping my car there (even before they moved the crossing away from the juction when they reversed the traffic flow along Parliament Street).

Maybe they should have spent the money fixing the fucking awful potholes dotted all over the town!

YAY! Ramsey now has some of this wonderous stuff - the hazard in question? A pedestrian crossing - must be a really shit piece of road judging by the length of tarmac they've covered in the stuff - funny that, I've never had any issues stopping my car there (even before they moved the crossing away from the juction when they reversed the traffic flow along Parliament Street).

Maybe they should have spent the money fixing the fucking awful potholes dotted all over the town!

Dunno why they bothered. Of the 2 relocated crossings after the traffic was reversed I've only ever seen people cross where the old ones were

Archived