[BBC News]Cars are checked in safety scheme

Newsbot

Anyone here get stopped? Was it a joke/publicity stunt? All they have to do is sit at Quarterbridge and Hillberry around rush hour in the evening, noting down registration numbers and they'll catch loads, but is that a bit obvious and is there a risk they may end up shopping a mate/relative that way which would of course be completely out of order?

Anyone here get stopped? Was it a joke/publicity stunt? All they have to do is sit at Quarterbridge and Hillberry around rush hour in the evening, noting down registration numbers and they'll catch loads, but is that a bit obvious and is there a risk they may end up shopping a mate/relative that way which would of course be completely out of order?

Unless they have changed the 'policy' the Dept of Transport (Vehicle Testing Department) abd the Police tend to stop vehicles at a place that is not a hazard to road users, ie: Braddan Bridge, St John's Pub Car Park, the Grandstand, Lonan, the layby opposite the Wildlife Park. The Santon Straight, the fly off nr the start of the Sourthern 100 Racecourse and the Bungalow on the Mountain.

I was stopped fours years ago when I wqas running a 32 tonne tipper. It's a full check:

Lights

Tyres (inc tread depth)

Bodywork

Battery tray

Winscreen Washer Bottle

Suspension

Security of ancillaries

(vehicle jacked) balljoints, swing arms and anti roll bars

Brakes and associated hoses pipes

If they suspect anything else, your vehicle id immediately 'seized' and transported to Tromode for further inspection.. although I am going back four years or so, if any faults are found, you wwere looking at a £10 fine for every fault they found, yes, i know it takes the mick, but that also includes your washer jets being blocked!

Pays to know some 'basic maintenance' for it could cost you points as well as fines!

Listening to the interviews on the news today, the police were giving themselves a great big slap on the back for a successful job well done. Not surprising they didn’t catch anyone with defective cars seeing as they advertised where they would be and at what time. If you’re looking for mad axe murderers with three heads you don’t announce where you will be waiting for them.

So publicity stunt it was, then :(

One of my pet hates is arseholes who can't be bothered to check their lights work - if you can't be bothered spending a few quid on a replacement lamp, it makes me wonder what else is defective.

Our police force have no idea - I'd do this for a 'success fee' if they asked!

If we are getting some driving pet hates out what about cutting corners...........! drives me nuts, you arrive at junction and some one does a right hand turn and nearly goes belly up trying to miss you coss they've cut the corner.

There feel better now................

Archived