[BBC News]Demolition for marine biology lab

Newsbot

Plans are under way to demolish parts of the Isle of Man's marine biology lab.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6147272.stm

I still think the IOM Government are silly for not keeping that place open. If things were to drastically change in the irish sea wouldn't it be ideal if we had our own Biological station to monitor things. Pollution or over fishing etc. :(

If things were to drastically change in the irish sea wouldn't it be ideal if we had our own Biological station to monitor things. Pollution or over fishing etc. :(

I don't understand why they didn't keep it. Things have already drastically changed in the Irish Sea, and continue to change, so it is even more important to have such a (preferably independent) facility.

If they weren't doing the 'right' research, they should have been given major grants to carry out the 'right' research for the government i.e. us.

Typical thinking in our 'dumbocracy' - 'if there are no alarming research reports, there won't be anything to worry about, so we won't need to take action or work out and pay for a solution.'

my understanding is that much of the research will continue but in premises closer to Liverpool - which presumeably reduces staffing and student accomodation costs.

The newsreport implies the buildings are 114 years old - that date must apply to the first biological station established on the other side of the bay (in chapel bay) which was demolished a long time ago - I can't recall when the existing station was built (some of it is reasonably recent) but c.1907 for the main part though added to piecemeal since then.

The sad fact is that Liverpool Uni didn't really want the facility any more. The extensions built on their own campus provide much better facilities for this kind of research, which is why they deliberately asked for a degree of financial assistance that they were very unlikely to receive from the Manx Govt.

Quite simply, it had outgrown its usefulness and the real debate ought now to be about what should be done with the site and, possibly, with whatever part of the buildings are worth preserving.

Liverpool Uni have been there since the 1920's, when it became the first university in the British Isles to offer a degree in Marine Biology. The station was originally set up on the other side of the bay in the 1890's and although the oldest parts of the existing building date from 1907, it is still one of the longest running marine laboratories in Britain.

Sad to see it go really, especially when you consider people like Edward Forbes came from these shores too.

Archived