"road Safety Camera"

3v0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I wonder what it is really for? I mean, if it is to do with speeding and it works like a UK camera, it would require a speed of 36mph before it took activated. The cameras in UK also have fixed speed lines that need to be in the picture for secondary proof of speed.

Anyone here tried going over ballaugh bridge at 36mph or greater?

lol, Weirdos... Whats the FFFing problem?

Just dont Speed, and you'll be OK....

That is not the point. Maybe IOM will become like Liverpool. Liverpool has cameras everywhere but very few speed limit signs. One minute you are going along in a 40 mph zone next you are on candid camera because you did not see the sign hidden behind a other signs, or a pedestrian crossing.

My brother in law is a traffic cop in Merseyside and has told me on many occaisions that they are there and positioned for easy money.

Do you really want that?

theres a yellow camera on woodbourne road traffic lights when your heading towards st ninians to catch ppl jumpin the lights and they can prosecute on that one and the one on ballaugh bridge will probably come active soon, it wont be catching many people though maybe 100 metres before and theyll catch a few!

its when they put them on the ballamodha we need to worry, theyll make some money then... i cant see the speed limits have made much of a difference.

The point is they are not there to send you fines, so its not an enforcment camera.

So what is the point of it then? Surely the theory behind speed cameras is that people don't want a fine therefore they don't speed, but without the fine it is pointless, how does it add to "road safety"?

The point is they are not there to send you fines, so its not an enforcment camera.

Provided that it's not a sneaky way of introducing legislation that will lead to the kind of money-harvesting cameras currently in use in the UK, it appears to be a sound idea.

If it warns drivers in plenty of time (100 metres ought to be enough for anyone approaching what is definitely a hazard!) and makes them take notice of their speed and slow down a bit, that's fine.

That is a road safety measure.

And, as Mups said, if we obeyed speed limits - as the Safer Island Driving campaign exhorts us all to do - why should there be a problem?

. . . . . they are there and positioned for easy money.

Do you really want that?

You mention the word 'money' to the vast majority of people on the Isle of Man today and they want it. You make it 'easy money' and they start salivating.

Not yet it's not.

The ratchet starts to take effect.

Archived