Isle Of The Dammned

Max Power

Douglas Corporation suggest increasing the amount of rental applied to the Conister Trust motor show weekend from £2,500 to £4,000.

Councillor Stephen Pitts visited the show this year and was amazed by all the expensive displays, and suggests that £4,000 is far too low!

The costs of having a display are enormous and has questionable benefit to motor dealers. We live on an Island with far too many franchises for the population, approx 2,500 new cars registered every year while a single dealer in the UK can achieve half of that on their own, so profitability is marginal to say the least.

Take into consideration the cost of hiring a display, c.£2,500, shipping c. £2,000, Increased stand rental, manning the stand, cleaning cars, shipping in special cars, moving them back and forth etc. The show is only a way of promoting the dealership in an effort to let people see what you have in a concentrated area.

It is also something to do of a weekend once a year on this miserable Island governed by mindless morons who can't see what is happening here.

There is bugger all to do in the way of passive entertainment here either during the week and particularly weekends and it seems that our elected officials seem hell bent on finishing off anybody who tries to provide anything different! The Island is far too expensive an environment for the entertainment and retail industries to exist in a suitable manner and it's the general public who have to put up with the consequences!

I hope Conister Trust find another suitable location for their show.

ill buy somwe land and rent it off for 2 grand a weekend itll eventually pay off, its rediculous...

maybe the thing that people say about all there being to do is get drunk and get laid is true.

maybe why we have so many alcoholics (80 000 alcoholics clinging to a rock) and teenage pregnancies!!

Councillor Stephen Pitts visited the show this year and was amazed by all the expensive displays, and suggests that £4,000 is far too low!

That's mental! what kind of "special" person is this Councillor Stephen Pitts, "hmm I was really impressed by that motor show and all the expensive displays, maybe we should stop them from doing it from now on..."

It's people like that being in charge that makes me hate this place sometimes!

Yeah nice one Pittsy...why have someone actually pay you £4k when you can double and have no-one pay you anything. Rather have 200% of nothing than 100% of something...what a cock!

Theres hardly a huge opportunity cost for them putting something on up there now is there...unless there's a queue of carny folk lookign to splash out on a pitch that we dont know about. Pitts by name......

The costs of having a display are enormous and has questionable benefit to motor dealers. We live on an Island with far too many franchises for the population, approx 2,500 new cars registered every year while a single dealer in the UK can achieve half of that on their own, so profitability is marginal to say the least.

You'll forgive me if I don't weep with sadness for poverty-stricken car dealers. Why not just charge lots of cash for servicing and don't actually do anything? Or how about selling more 4x4 vehicles to clog the roads with during rush hour? Or increase prices and prop up the demand for non-renewable energy sources? Or keep up with technology by offering the basic same fuel consumption figures as were available 20 years ago?

Sigh. Flame off.

This is not a car dealer issue, it just points out how out of touch our 'rulers' are with the costs and realities of business and the subsequent lack of any passive entertainment, choice etc. i.e. something you can just wander into and enjoy when you have nothing better to do!

I will start another car dealer thread if you like, but I suppose it's not easy to make people understand issues when money changes hands!

So it's probably best left for another day.

How much did the land cost to insure for the weekend and who paid.

but it could be that the Corpy are trying to pay off Mr Pitts town hall Bar bill for the term he was the Mayor. In His year as the Mayor the Mayors bar went through a 100% more drinks than any other Mayor and as for the Food bill .

Dont worry Pittsy Mr Cretney will look after you :o

You'll forgive me if I don't weep with sadness for poverty-stricken car dealers. Why not just charge lots of cash for servicing and don't actually do anything? Or how about selling more 4x4 vehicles to clog the roads with during rush hour? Or increase prices and prop up the demand for non-renewable energy sources? Or keep up with technology by offering the basic same fuel consumption figures as were available 20 years ago?

Sigh. Flame off.

I'll take a leaf out of Rhumsa's book

Cock!!

Douglas Corporation suggest increasing the amount of rental applied to the Conister Trust motor show weekend from £2,500 to £4,000.

The show is only a way of promoting the dealership in an effort to let people see what you have in a concentrated area. It is also something to do of a weekend once a year on this miserable Island governed by mindless morons who can't see what is happening here.

I don't ... it a crap show and a waste of time.

We live on a small Island if I want to buy a car I drive around the dealers' not trudge round a wet field getting dogshit on my shoes to speak to sales staff who wouldn't know sales techiques if they were tattoed on their heads. A bunch or order takers who have not been used to a difficult market for a long time, its about time they coughed up.

If collectively they can't afford four grand they shouldn't be in business, its not much between god knows how many dealerships.

I don't ... it a crap show and a waste of time.

We live on a small Island if I want to buy a car I drive around the dealers' not trudge round a wet field getting dogshit on my shoes to speak to sales staff who wouldn't know sales techiques if they were tattoed on their heads. A bunch or order takers who have not been used to a difficult market for a long time, its about time they coughed up.

If collectively they can't afford four grand they shouldn't be in business, its not much between god knows how many dealerships.

The motor show is not the point, it's the lack of any entertainment and the corporations misunderstanding (a bit like yours really)

(BTW, I have worked in the motor industry in various parts of the UK, and this is the most difficult and competitive market I have encountered.

Very poor return of investment and little opportunity for growth.

Easy to slag off like most things, but no idea what the answers are! Well thats the internet I suppose.)

I have to agree that the motor show is pretty crap, i mean who wants to watch Steve Colley (with his big cheesy grin) do his jump on a car with one wheel trick for the third time?

Wasnt a complete waste of time tho, the bird I paid to get in was pretty hot :D

Archived