Got A Point - Or Just A Nutcase?

Albert Tatlock

the government, not wanting to lose their power refused to even allow it to be discussed in any way.

No, the people he spoke to did not share his enthuasism for purchasing the proprietary Touch internet portal, which is not at all the same thing.

had the government allowed a referendum on the issue and it was voted down then im sure he would have said fair enough.

When I moved to the Isle of Man, I had to make the decision as to whether to resign my UK council seat immediately or to keep it until the scheduled election. I asked Conservative Central Office the cost to the taxpayer of running a by-election. For a UK parliamentary constituency, it is £30,000. The Isle of Man has the same population as a UK parliamentary constituency. A referendum generates the same workload as a by-election. Are you seriously suggesting that every time a member of the general public has a bright idea, we should spend thirty grand of taxpayers' money on researching whether others agree?

in the end he is by far the happiest person i know despite what has happened to him in life so unless you call that crazy then no he most definatly is not and i think he has a point.

I'm genuinely pleased that he is happy, as he has paid a very high price for his obsession. According to his website, his girlfriend became so infuriated by his compulsive behaviour that she threw him out - the poor man came home to find the locks changed and his belongings on the pavement. That did nothing to lessen his fervour for his cause.

last election they didnt let him stand "on technical reasons"

If he failed to meet the requirements of the Representation of the People Act, then of course they didn't. He performed dismally at the 2001 election and would have done so again at the 2003 by-election. Whatever Mr Rooney may be, he is no kind of threat to the government or the establishment.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
last election they didnt let him stand "on technical reasons"

Like 'technically...he's a nut case' ?

More seriously, I can see why people get worked up about various things, but this site does seem to have become a little 'obsessive compulsive'. Often, if not discussing things face to face with other people, or on a forum such as this, these sort of things can get quickly get out of hand.

This is an ideal place to have these discussions. I think if he did that, and listened to some decent feedback, the website could eventually serve a useful purpose - but IMHO at the moment it is not credible and giving the island bad publicity.

Archived