Highly Suspicious

ccm

Call me cynical (sure you will) but when someone leaves it until five minutes to go before declaring their intention to run for Government then don't the alarm bells start ringing.

If you wanted to represent your community in the next Government surely your mind would have been made up months ago and you wouldn't leave it until the last possible second before declaring.

Someone who spends months of 'umming' and 'arrrring' about whether to stand is surely not the kind of person you would trust when it comes to making political decisions ....or were they just waiting to see who they'd be up against.

Maybe it's an ego thing and having been beaten in the last two elections they just couldn't stand the thought of getting trounced again and being declared a failure in the public eye.

It's this kind of behaviour which makes me highly suspicious about those who are up for election.

Are they there because they genuinely care or is it all just 'ego'?

The only excuse I can think of for such a 'last minute' decision would be that no one else was challenging the sitting member. Even if it was unlikely to be a successful bid it would at least enable the victor to know how much of a mandate he/she had from the constituents.

Other than that... no! IMO, it's just gamesmanship that will, hopefully, backfire.

The only excuse I can think of for such a 'last minute' decision would be that no one else was challenging the sitting member. Even if it was unlikely to be a successful bid it would at least enable the victor to know how much of a mandate he/she had from the constituents.

Other than that... no! IMO, it's just gamesmanship that will, hopefully, backfire.

Two seats up for grabs - only one sitting member seeking re-election - and two other 'wet behind the ears' candidates .....

I'm convinced if two sitting members were seeking re-election then the candidate in question would not have put their name forward.

I think it stinks really. I know it's the right of every individual to put their name forward, it's just the manner in which this one has done so which worries me.

Making a decision to put ones name forward as a canidate for election to the Government is a big decision and in my view a life changing decision, its not something that should be taken on the spur of the moment.

I know of one person that was thinking very hard for the past couple of years about standing for South Douglas and only made his decision while sat in the living room of a retiring MHK 1 hour before the close of nominations. His decision not to stand was made by his family and not by the many people who were constantly trying to get him to stand.

The bloke I think this thread refers to spoke with plenty of conviction at a meeting last night.

The sitting member was happy to throw in the establishment line and seemed confident he would be getting back in.

He calmly explained why Government couldn't do all the things people wanted like supporting Hospice, and providing Post Offices and such like. We live in the real world you see, and these things cost money.

Sound sensible advice thought I, and a few others too. A cool calm politician speaking the government line in an otherwise sea of hope and promises.

Hospice needed a £million or so. A lot of money. Then it seemed to dawn on everyone. MEA - many, many £millions of pounds were *ahem* lost by our government on that one. And what about the Hospital. And IRIS.

You see, we put our trust in them to run these projects properly.

Yes, indeedy Mr Politician, it has been a very prosperous Island. But who has been pocketing all the cash . . . not the decent honest folk of the constituency, that's for sure. Although there were one or two smug smiles, but whether enough to vote the establishment back in? We'll see.

Edited too, for post above . . . there's always next time - that will be the crucial one when the cock-ups come home to roost this coming term

The thread refers I believe to Geoff Cannell, but I have to agrea that he spoke with conviction last evening. Whether I would want him to fight my corner is another matter because he tends to rough people up the wrong way. Sorry Geoff, but you do. Stick to what you are good at.

The rest of my post refers to the sitting MHK who I have a lot of respect for, except he really has become engrained and embraced by the establishment. I do not believe the establishment has faired too well at all this last 5 years. As we will see in the next 5 years.

When the white elephants come home to roost you'll be speachless for words.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, like a dose of torrets I needed to expel some PeterKarranisms seeing as I was talking some politics instead of whinging about smoking.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, like a dose of torrets I needed to expel some PeterKarranisms seeing as I was talking some politics instead of whinging about smoking.

Ha!

Yeh! - getting unelected.

Looks like this endemic is epidemic.

Archived