Ba Maintenance Base To Close By June.

spanna

He says they had a meeting this morning.

where they were told about the meeting between the union and flybe the day before.

last week we knew flybe were taking them over.

today we know that they have been told the base will be shut by june that wasnt known till today. and still isnt known according to the gov.

But that is the point! Last week, when it was announced that Flybe were to take over BA Connect, did anyone think that there would be no impact on BA Connect's staffing on the Island? Why would Flybe want to keep two finance departments? Why, when they have a massive investment in an engineering facility at Exeter capable of maintaining all their current and future aircraft, would Flybe want to keep another facility here? I am sure that, as a successful business, they will listen to all offers, whether from the Government and any third parties, before they decide, but it was last week's announcement that identified the risk. Someone has put a date, June 2007, into the pot. But the severity of the potential impact on employment on the Island has not changed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come in Mr Downie, your time is up...

He does look a bit of a chump. Barely an hour after he's on the midday news decrying scurrilous rumours on teh interweb it's announced that said "rumour" is true.

Wonder if Downie will now go to IOM Newspapers to denounce Manx Radio for spreading scurrilous rumours

The fact that this has arisen suggests that aircraft maintenance is not a lucrative or cost effective business? I may be wrong of course and I hope I am, but I don't remember the slightest concern when the company I worked for pulled the plug on its Island operation and left 40 of us redundant. Perhaps it's percieved that this is more worthy, I don't know.

If this should be a potentially profitable concern, perhaps it could be set up to subcontract repairs and maintenance for smaller airlines under government or private ownership?

Whatever happens, it's no use blaming anyone or anything but the harsh economics of life. If companies carry excessive costs, and BA obviously are whilst FlyBe have their own facility, then more jobs are ultimately at risk. The human issues are tragic I know, but this is the price we pay for living in a capitalist environment with all it's pleasures!

Edited for spelling.

He does look a bit of a chump. Barely an hour after he's on the midday news decrying scurrilous rumours on teh interweb it's announced that said "rumour" is true.

Wonder if Downie will now go to IOM Newspapers to denounce Manx Radio for spreading scurrilous rumours

He just did on the 12-30 Manx Radio News, said the rumours over job loses at BA were total bullshit

He just did on the 12-30 Manx Radio News, said the rumours over job loses at BA were total bullshit

To be fair all the DTI's press releases are very carefully worded. Mr Downey is quoted on MR as saying the fate of the operation "hasn't been decided" that is not saying that the rumours are unfounded or that its not going to happen, and it sort of lays the foundations for him saying "I wasn't told at the time because no firm decisions had been made at that time".

He also says in the official release that "Flybe have announced that the company’s principal engineering base will be in Exeter, but a range of options are under review for the Ronaldsway engineering base." So what conclusion can you draw from that?

http://www.gov.im/dti/ViewNews.gov?page=li...mp;menuid=11570

Here we have the classic case of manx radio reporting an internet post as "news" (who in their right mind does that without qualifying the information) and then a whole political shit-storm being unleashed because of it.

Rumours are rumours until they appear in the press, you can't blame a poster on an internet forum who was just responding to stuff he was told at work. He is not a journalist. They sadly are.

Rumours are rumours until they appear in the press, you can't blame a poster on an internet forum who was just responding to stuff he was told at work. He is not a journalist. They sadly are.

I don't understand <_<

I thought the MR report carried an interview with a member of staff? How can that be BS if they are reporting and recorded a member of staff saying what he had been told? Surely that member of staff was either told it or he wasn't - and if he wasn't, he would have surely and rightly gotten lynched by his colleagues?

The Skeat, I listened to the whole of the programme and AD did not say job losses were bull shit, he said decisions hadn't been made; the transaction was at the due diligence stage and too early for any decision. This means Flybe's lawyers and accountants are crawling over all of BA Connect's records and accounts. Normal procedure, so there is still room for many a slip twixt cup and lip.

How in God's name can anyone misinterpret what was said and, indeed, what stage the whole thing is at? Are we listening to things and hearing what we want to hear? It is no wonder that things of this nature are treated with confidentiality; just the kind of bruhaha that can give the kiss of death to the whole thing and then what future would there be for the facility?

Job losses!!!!

As an employer I hope that there ARE job losses so that I can swoop in and emply the displaced staff for better money, better working conditions and better .......... stuff.

When a company goes bust on this island it is usually a damn good reason for great staff to go and work for somebody who appreciates them. If you're reading this and you work for BA - have no fear, you'll be snapped up!!!

Archived