[BBC News]Football game ends in mass brawl

Newsbot

According to the Examiner (21-11-06) there were two separate, but related, incidents:

Insults and threats were traded and there was a confrontation as players walked through pockets of spectators toward the changing rooms.

An aggressive stand off led to a supporter being head-butted which in turn sparked a free-for-all, with members of both clubs racing to the scene...

A number of players and officials stepped in to act as peacemakers... the fight was quickly broken up.

While that brawl was taking place there was also a separate altercation between a spectator and a match official.

It is alleged that one of the referee's assistants reacted to abuse from the home fans by making an inflammatory remark towards a member of the crowd.

The supporter, himself a former referee, walked on to the pitch at the end to confront the officials.

The dispute became increasingly heated and led to police being called...

It is understood a complaint was lodged by the spectator and that both parties were interviewed by a police officer in a committee room at the clubhouse.

Anyone involved with the local game knows that Rushen have a reputation for having a small core of 'fans' who have barely evolved form the knuckle dragging stage of Darwinian evolution. These are middle aged men by the way, not un-hugged hoodies with nowt better to do.

argh the (in)famous whinging err i mean wailing wall

i always remember their faces when 1 of our subs emptied a water bottle over them, there was some nashing of teeth i can tell you

Archived