Election Results

Albert Tatlock

Just been looking at the ages of the winners, the average age is 50.5.

This is rather skewed by Watterson (26) who is 15 years younger than the next youngest MHK, Gawne (41), who in turn is three years younger than Henderson and Creegan (44).

The bulk of the MHK's are aged between 46 (Gill, Karran, Shimmin, and Crookhall) and 59 (Bell)

Except Cannon, who at 70 is older than Watterson & Gawne put together.

Most places have gone for experience over youth. (In only 4 constituencies did the youngest candidate triumph and in those there was only a couple of years difference)

The exception being, of course, Rushen, which managed to not only elect its three youngest candidates, in order of youth, but put its 4th youngest candidate 4th. In fact this is something of a trend having elected the youngest MHK at the last general election (Gill) and sending a younger one to join him via a by-election (Gawne). In fact in the last two general elections and two by-election Pam Crowe is the only successful over 50 candidate.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The policy in my household was not to vote for Johnny come lately's looking for a supplement to their pension. Too many approaching retirement are looking for something to do and really are doing a great diservice to the Island.

~There should be a law against it!

The policy in my household was not to vote for Johnny come lately's looking for a supplement to their pension. Too many approaching retirement are looking for something to do and really are doing a great diservice to the Island.

~There should be a law against it!

And not just that - so many of them just love being a 'big fish in a small pond'. I'd like to see a compulsory psychological test to reveal their true motives!

This is just a personal thing, but I would like to have known if any of the candidates are Christian? It is a point that I would be happy to see in an individual. I'm Christian myself, and would openly admit that on my manifesto if I was running for election. Fine, it would probably put people off.... but it's being honest. I would just like to know how the candidates would respond to ethical/moral matters.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of the elected have religious backgrounds?

This is just a personal thing, but I would like to have known if any of the candidates are Christian? It is a point that I would be happy to see in an individual. I'm Christian myself, and would openly admit that on my manifesto if I was running for election. Fine, it would probably put people off.... but it's being honest.

Strictly speaking, I'm a protestant (or evangelic, as it's usually referred to in Germany - the whole Lutheranism thing..), but I'm not exactly a practicing one - the last time I attended church service was at the school leaving day, and that was because we had to. Not saying religion is completely useless, but I can't exactly see a lot of use in it these days (or in general, to be honest), apart from any charity work carried out by a lot of well meaning and dedicated souls, maybe...

I would just like to know how the candidates would respond to ethical/moral matters.

Been there and got the T-shirt in some way during the last three months - the question "Do you think e-gaming is immoral or unethical, and should the island follow this sort of economic strategy?" came up during the requisition meeting, and I had to defend the industry I work in, which I was more than happy to do (and no, I don't think the e-gaming/gambling industry is immoral or unethical - the mental image of smoky back rooms with sunglasses wearing, cigar smoking bookies is simply a bit outdated by now, and the real picture looks rather different...).

Been there and got the T-shirt in some way during the last three months - the question "Do you think e-gaming is immoral or unethical, and should the island follow this sort of economic strategy?" came up during the requisition meeting, and I had to defend the industry I work in, which I was more than happy to do (and no, I don't think the e-gaming/gambling industry is immoral or unethical - the mental image of smoky back rooms with sunglasses wearing, cigar smoking bookies is simply a bit outdated by now, and the real picture looks rather different...).

Does that picture include single-mums acumilating masses of debt?

This is just a personal thing, but I would like to have known if any of the candidates are Christian? It is a point that I would be happy to see in an individual. I'm Christian myself, and would openly admit that on my manifesto if I was running for election. Fine, it would probably put people off.... but it's being honest. I would just like to know how the candidates would respond to ethical/moral matters.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of the elected have religious backgrounds?

Geoff Corkish is a long standing choir member at All Saints, Douglas.

He is definitely a Christian.

Does that picture include single-mums acumilating masses of debt?

Yes, it does - and I knew that sort of comment/question would come up, so I might as well defend myself again then..

The e-gaming / e-gambling, or whatever else you may want to call it, industry is one of the most tightly regulated industries around, with way harder and tighter regulations than any other kind of financial institution or company.

Your credit card company charges you - what - 13/15/19 % interest? We don't - in fact, we're not even allowed to give any kind of credit under the Online Gambling Act 2001. The law says we have to have received the funds, or at least have an authorisation code for the same, before we are allowed to let you have any sort of of bet.

Highstreet shops give you "store cards" that charge up to 30% APR, and your local bank charges you loads if you dare to go 1p overdrawn (£20 with IOM Bank - I tried) - we don't, and once again - we're not even allowed to do so - yet, you're not attacking anyone who happens to work for Next, TopMan, or any sort of bank...

Credit card companies are happy to feed "revolvers" - people, that accumulate loads of debt on their cards and get their limits extended anyway, because the banks know very well that they will accumulate even more debt this way - we have to shut down accounts of problem gamblers, and have to protect the same in numerous ways. And that's not just "some law" - I've shut accounts down myself in the past, well knowing that we could have earned more, but are simply not allowed to do so.

You don't complain about AWPs, or 'Fruit machines" as they are better known - the biggest nuisance ever invented - if it was after me, they'd be outlawed by tomorrow - I mainly trade US Sports, which operate on 102-104% (20 cent lines, or -1.10 each side) - hardly a big margin, is it? This industry is aimed at recreational gambling, and rule #one is "Don't bet with money you can't afford to lose".

Yes, there are people that accumulate debts because of gambling - the fact that I shut down a person's account doesn't mean that he or she isn't betting with 20 or 30 other companies all over the globe, in jurisdictions less well regulated than the IOM - or that the same person doesn't go to the local casi every night, and gambles away the family savings on Bingo or slot machines - activities, which are way less regulated than the industry I work in.

And last but not least, people always seem to be very quick to critizise us, but they seem to forget one little thing: If it wasn't for online gaming (and the adult industry, to be fair), then you wouldn't be shopping on Ebay, or ordering your CDs from Amazon or Play.com - you wouldn't shop at Tesco's and get your groceries delievered, or book your holiday online, as it were these very industries that developed the technologies for the many things we take for granted on the internet these days, and that is also the reason why I love working in the industry - we're always one step ahead, always at the forefront of technology, pushing limits and developing new ideas.

I appreciate the fact that many people don't know much about the going-ons in this industry, and that it still appears to have this image of 'smoky back rooms' attached to it, but nothing could be further from the truth - the Bookie doesn't always win, but if he does, then he's well regulated and governed while doing so. Unfortunately, the current IOM "Head of e-Gaming Development", the very person supposed to transmit this message of well regulated transparency, is less qualified and able to do so than it might be desirable - something, the new administration might want to look into...

yet, you're not attacking anyone who happens to work for Next, TopMan, or any sort of bank...

Not attacking you either, at least not on this issue.

The exception being, of course, Rushen, which managed to not only elect its three youngest candidates, in order of youth, but put its 4th youngest candidate 4th. In fact this is something of a trend having elected the youngest MHK at the last general election (Gill) and sending a younger one to join him via a by-election (Gawne). In fact in the last two general elections and two by-election Pam Crowe is the only successful over 50 candidate.

Seems this is a characteristic that goes back some time. Walker, Cringle, and Lowey were all in their thirties when first elected in the mid 70's.

Does anyone know where I can get figures for the number of people who voted in each constinuency and the number eligible or registered?

. . . . is a long standing choir member at ******.

He is definitely a Christian.

Personally, I find this statement, made by a person about another person, to be complete and utter bollox,

Being a Christian is more than a wee bit subjective.

I know people who go round telling all and sundry that they are Christian, but in reality I know they aren't very pleasant people at all.

He does and he is jolly good at it. Plus he is a Manx 'celebrity' like Dot Tilbury, who was doing a lot of his electioneering on the day.

Much as I admire Geoff's fine baritone (or whatever it is) voice and much as I admire Dot Thingummy as a racontreuse, that doe not make them good advisers for politics. Or perhaps it does and I am surely missing something.

Archived