Election Results

Albert Tatlock

". . . . 'tis a pity you didn't get more of a say t'other night lad. I hope tonight went better for you" thought Donald, as he once again made his voice heard to the big wide world of the internet via the use of manxforums.

dotcom.

I think he was almost 'bullied' into not having a say by a couple of the wannabes. Unfortunately the Chairman didn't notice, but I hope the audience did. He was more assertive last night.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@teapot: I agree with a lot of what you wrote. However I would take issue with the Anderson "instinctively knows what they think" argument. Although he doesn't know what we think, we know Andersons personal opinions and morals etc etc. So we know the kinds of views and decisions Anderson will take when in Government. On the other hand, Mr Boot hasn't told us of any of his views, only our views*! So how do we know the stance he will take on various issues not covered by his manifesto? Quite frankly we don't.

* Mr Boots views / opinions come straight from his electors survey - so he will clearly please a lot of people, and this is a good approach for getting elected. However he can't asked the constituency what they want at every decision - we need to know *his* opinions. Furthermore, saying that "a majority of people want x & y..." is bad statistics. He must remember that a majority from his survey want x & y, and that the sample (20ish% of voters) is not a representative sample - only the vocal few will have returned the form.

As some of the questions at the meeting alluded to what might happen if consultation resulted in equally divided opposite opinions, I have very politely asked Mr Boot for a brief summary of his political philosophy so we can better judge his stance. Unfortunately the "busy man" hasn't found time to reply to me yet!!

I do agree Boot side-stepped some tricky questions - but as he said (and this was the third thing I couldn't remember yesterday) "that's politics"! This was his response to the groan from the audience regarding his answer to the planning deferment question. He should keep off the jokes - that's what I meant by his over confidence. We all know that that's exactly what they do, defer any big questions until the people hopefully won't notice, but for god sake Geoffry, don't admit it in public. It gave Anderson the chance to take the moral high ground, and I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't avoid making the decision on Scarlet regardless of the election. He was able to side-step any arguement that the audience might have had about his decision because everyone was so focused on the Boot reply! What an idiot! This seat is Boots to loose rather than Anderson to win. Anderson made no big slip ups because he didn't actually say anything. As with all the "sitting tenants" in the seats, he just quoted the government line. From the start nothing was his fault, he wasn't elected when the decisions were taken over the MEA and other cock-ups - well perhaps he wasn't but I didn't hear him jumping up and down in the Keys and making a great fuss about the MEA once the mess came to light.

If he gets in again (and unfortunately I think he will) you won't see him from Friday 24 November until he needs your vote again 5 years later. He's already said at the meeting that he doesn't need to visit the constituents because he "instinctly knows what they think"!! What arrogance!!! Quite frankly, I don't think Boot can do any worse than Anderson and we can at least hold him to account if he doesn't do the things he says, like surgeries and contact with the constituents. Anderson hasn't said anything about what he wants to try and do in the future because he'll be hoping to get back into a ministry and disappear from the people that voted for him (and, in fairness to him, he's not alone in this, I think most of them will hope to do the same - they don't want to mix with the great unwashed once they get into the Keys!)

Anyway enough ranting - here's a very confident prediction - Geoff Corkish will get in, no problem, if any of you were at the Villa last night you'll have seen him operate - what a performer :lol: In fact, if he's not elected Chief Minister and Knighted by Christmas I'll eat my hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Geoff Corkish would do well as an MHK, he's a good mason as well !!

@teapot: I agree with a lot of what you wrote. However I would take issue with the Anderson "instinctively knows what they think" argument. Although he doesn't know what we think, we know Andersons personal opinions and morals etc etc. So we know the kinds of views and decisions Anderson will take when in Government. On the other hand, Mr Boot hasn't told us of any of his views, only our views*! So how do we know the stance he will take on various issues not covered by his manifesto? Quite frankly we don't.

* Mr Boots views / opinions come straight from his electors survey - so he will clearly please a lot of people, and this is a good approach for getting elected. However he can't asked the constituency what they want at every decision - we need to know *his* opinions. Furthermore, saying that "a majority of people want x & y..." is bad statistics. He must remember that a majority from his survey want x & y, and that the sample (20ish% of voters) is not a representative sample - only the vocal few will have returned the form.

As some of the questions at the meeting alluded to what might happen if consultation resulted in equally divided opposite opinions, I have very politely asked Mr Boot for a brief summary of his political philosophy so we can better judge his stance. Unfortunately the "busy man" hasn't found time to reply to me yet!!

I do agree Boot side-stepped some tricky questions - but as he said (and this was the third thing I couldn't remember yesterday) "that's politics"! This was his response to the groan from the audience regarding his answer to the planning deferment question. He should keep off the jokes - that's what I meant by his over confidence. We all know that that's exactly what they do, defer any big questions until the people hopefully won't notice, but for god sake Geoffry, don't admit it in public. It gave Anderson the chance to take the moral high ground, and I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't avoid making the decision on Scarlet regardless of the election. He was able to side-step any arguement that the audience might have had about his decision because everyone was so focused on the Boot reply! What an idiot! This seat is Boots to loose rather than Anderson to win. Anderson made no big slip ups because he didn't actually say anything. As with all the "sitting tenants" in the seats, he just quoted the government line. From the start nothing was his fault, he wasn't elected when the decisions were taken over the MEA and other cock-ups - well perhaps he wasn't but I didn't hear him jumping up and down in the Keys and making a great fuss about the MEA once the mess came to light.

If he gets in again (and unfortunately I think he will) you won't see him from Friday 24 November until he needs your vote again 5 years later. He's already said at the meeting that he doesn't need to visit the constituents because he "instinctly knows what they think"!! What arrogance!!! Quite frankly, I don't think Boot can do any worse than Anderson and we can at least hold him to account if he doesn't do the things he says, like surgeries and contact with the constituents. Anderson hasn't said anything about what he wants to try and do in the future because he'll be hoping to get back into a ministry and disappear from the people that voted for him (and, in fairness to him, he's not alone in this, I think most of them will hope to do the same - they don't want to mix with the great unwashed once they get into the Keys!)

Anyway enough ranting - here's a very confident prediction - Geoff Corkish will get in, no problem, if any of you were at the Villa last night you'll have seen him operate - what a performer :lol: In fact, if he's not elected Chief Minister and Knighted by Christmas I'll eat my hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Geoff Corkish would do well as an MHK, he's a good mason as well !!

I was at the villa last night to. Great night! I am in Douglas West and was thinking of voting for Geoff Corkish. I thought he was very entertaining last night :D

I was at the villa last night to. Great night! I am in Douglas West and was thinking of voting for Geoff Corkish. I thought he was very entertaining last night :D

Great! Now we're voting for best entertainer! :(

If only Sir Norman Wisdom was standing, he'd probably make Chief Minister! :huh:

If only Sir Norman Wisdom was standing, he'd probably make Chief Minister! :huh:

Funny comment :P

I would vote for someone who has an interesting manifesto and who is pleasant etc. I was just stating he was very entertaining last night. I personally would like to see some of the 'old gits' out and put some new faces in. New faces and ideas. A fresh start!

Hi all, I'm a Glenfaba constituent and would like to add my two penneth!

There is more background research on Mr Boot here:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/blog/gis/...id=101#comments

Make of it what you will.

@teapot: I too was at the meeting last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The item you may have forgotten is the look of genuine surprise on Mr Boots face when Mr Anderson responded to Mr Boot about problems with EU reciprocal health care forms and meat derogation by pointing out that the Isle of Man is not a member of the EU. A lack of such basic background knowledge is abysmal for a resident of 20years...

Also, after you left he was pressed further on having been resident here for so long / where exactly he has been. Again, no straight answer. Earlier in the meeting he stated that he had owned a house here and paid Manx tax for 20years (another slip up) - I think that there is a distinction to be made between this and actually living in and being active in the community.

Although Mr Anderson showed no brilliance - he made no big slip ups, and I think won points for stating that he isn't afraid of taking big decisions. (Whereas Mr Boot pointed out that he would prefer to defer decisions until after re-election).

I think that the result will be close on Thursday, as unfortunately many members of Glenfaba seem to like someone who will interfere with the commissioners role of handling the minutiae of local matters, rather than spending their time concentrating on national and international issues.

I also attended the Glenfaba requisition meeting. Lord Boot had the opportunity to tell his potential constituents the truth about his whereabouts for the last 20 years, however, it was exposed that he was hiding the truth which does not come across well at all! Mr Anderson certainly appears to be the man of integrity in this election. He also promised more regular contact with his constituents which I would expect from him as he appears to be a man of his word. I think the tendancy for many is to vote for the anti-establishment figure. However I think we should be voting for the man and their moral principles. Mr Anderson has shown he is not afraid of making difficult decisions (regardless of the effect on his popularity) which is a valuable asset in any politician. I don't think anybody is actually voting for Mr Boot in this election, he is only mopping up the anti-anderson and anti-government vote!

Corkish will probably get in as he is standing for the area with a large percentage of free masons.

He will automically be propelled to a Ministerial position. becoming the Islands first "Minister of Spin" or the "Minister for Bulls**t"

He is well trained for the position after all those years with the steam racket co.

Even if Mr Bell looses his Ramsey seat tomorrow he can look forward to a new job as manager of Liverpool Football Club.

On North West Tonight this evening they had a piece about the Isle of Man election that included a piece to camera with Allan Bell - he was identified on screen as the "Manager LFC".

Even if Mr Bell looses his Ramsey seat tomorrow he can look forward to a new job as manager of Liverpool Football Club.

On North West Tonight this evening they had a piece about the Isle of Man election that included a piece to camera with Allan Bell - he was identified on screen as the "Manager LFC".

Screen Shot

Screen Shot

Well done!

Absolute classic.

I heard he had good ball control but had no idea it was that good!

Archived