Election Results

Albert Tatlock

Does anyone know how the second requesition meeting went last night in Onchan? Was there many people there ?

Hall was only two thirds full. Chairman, Harvey Briggs, was a complete waste of space. Karran was on good form, Earnshaw was very professional, Dosser was very bland, Babb was very bullish, and Quirk should have made a bigger impact, as this is his third attempt but was also a bit dull. Stowell - well what can one say? Arrogant. He started off by apologising to every one that he had upset in the past, the apologised to everyone who he is going to upset in the future! He is totally against government helping to revive the lack of apprenticeships for the none academic school leavers. (So don’t expect him to do anything for your children or Grandchildren) He does not appear to support the minimum wage and has some fanciful idea on the housing situation (not surprising considering he makes his money from renting out his “property portfolio”)

Overall, Earnshaw & Karran looked fairly safe, but who will get the third vote? Heaven help the people of the Isle of Man if it is Stowell.

As you can guess he would not get my vote if I lived in Onchan.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know how the second requesition meeting went last night in Onchan? Was there many people there ?

All I heard was the young lad Dosser was a bit more assertive whereas on Monday the big boys weren't giving him much of a chance and the chairman didn't seem at all bothered.

I wonder if any of the candidates re-used any of their best lines again?

eg

Brian Stowell, something like:

"I'm sorry if I've upset anyone in the past, I'm sorry if I've upset anyone tonight.....I may as well say I'm sorry again now because I'll probably upset some people in the future"

Did Steve Babb do his impersonation of an observation comedian being a politician. No disrespect intended Steve, it's just the casual approach to the microphone, the hand in the pocket, the facial expressions, the bemused look, the delivery and the punchlines. Quite good! :)

If you don't get elected and the Water Authority magically fill your job I recommend 'stand up' as an alternative job!

Aye, it will be interesting to see who is 'The Third Man' at Onchan.

Did Steve Babb do his impersonation of an observation comedian being a politician. No disrespect intended Steve, it's just the casual approach to the microphone, the hand in the pocket, the facial expressions, the bemused look, the delivery and the punchlines. Quite good! :)

If you don't get elected and the Water Authority magically fill your job I recommend 'stand up' as an alternative job!

Well if that's the worst anyone can say about my performances, then I've come off better than many. It's good to know the abject terror at standing in front of so many of my peers didn't shine through. That and having to speak second on Monday then first yesterday didn't help either.

Personally, I think the award for comedy timing has to go to George Waft for ringing the bell to call for time when I proposed having elected MLCs. He got the biggest laugh of the night, once the clapping had died down for the suggestion.

At the end of the day, the requisition meetings give you a good idea of what performances to expect from those who are elected, in particular when they answer the questions. It's a shame we couldn't have a bigger venue in Onchan and advertise it more to get a bigger turn out. An open forum like that where the candidates have to think and deliver their answers by themselves, certainly keeps them honest.

At the end of the day, the requisition meetings give you a good idea of what performances to expect from those who are elected, in particular when they answer the questions.

I thought the meetings were for seeing what your MHK looked like - before they dissapear for the next five years, and you just hear them on the radio the odd time saying something completely different from what they promised at the meeting.

post-2251-1164229995_thumb.jpg

Canvassing

post-2251-1164229834_thumb.jpg

Votes Counted

post-2251-1164229844_thumb.jpg

Elected!

I believe Steve has got a pretty good chance too. He and Ripsaw would make a good partnership in the "Keys".

Like Cannon & Ball?

Good Luck Stevie, might not agree with you often but I know from experience you'll work hard, be passionate, and try to do your best for the Island. It'd be interesting to see how you get on if elected.

At the requesition meeting on Monday evening (Onchan) One of the candidates stood up and said that if he does not get elected he has to look for a new job...are you sure about that, did you not mention to anyone that your position will still be there if you dont succed !

The job will still be there for someone, but I'm not guaranteed to get it back.

Unfortunately Juan you are right and there are quite a few ready to spoil the island from tomorrow if we give them the chance.

Democracy I believe someone said is the best system we've got, but does the IOM really have it?

I’m a Politician - Song (to the tune of Monty Pythons ‘I’m a Lumberjack)

POLITICIAN:

I'm a politician, I'm OK

My work loads light, and I get good pay

VOTERS:

He's a politician, he's okay.

His work load’s light, and he gets good pay.

POLITICIAN:

I vote in votes, I talk in talks,

I go to Tynwald Hill.

On most days I do nothin'

But get paid for it still.

VOTERS:

He votes in votes, he talks in talks

He goes to Tynwald Hill.

On most days he does nothing

But gets paid for it still.

POLITICIAN:

I say one thing, and do another.

I like to spend your cash.

I don’t know much of finance

And my car is rather flash.

VOTERS:

He says one thing. He does another.

He likes to spend our cash.

He knows not much of finance

And his car is really flash?

POLITICIAN:

I say that I, will help you folks,

Because that’s my vocation,

But I decide what you must do,

So I tear up consultations,

VOTERS:

He says that he, will help us folks,

Because that’s his vocation,

But he decides what we must do,

So he tears up consultations?

Archived