Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

Smart cars. I know they've been mentioned on the this thread already, but what if our Government were to offer some sort of incentive to use these machines. On this Island they are ideal for town and great for parking.

They are a bit like those helmets that cyclists wear - we wouldn't be seen dead wearing one 20 years ago but now they are sensible and de rigeur.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and as for 4 x 4's I'm sorry but unless your're a farmer they are just the mobile personification of an inferiority complex.

So what do I tow my bloody boat up the steep, slippy slipway with then? A fecking horse, perhaps some huskies, maybe my own personal tug-o-war team?!!

I was wondering the same. After fecking up my estate car trying to launch boats off Port Erin beach or Peel slipway I bought a 4x4.

Job done.

I don'y have a boat or 4x4 now, but there are other uses for them than just farming

Smart cars. I know they've been mentioned on the this thread already, but what if our Government were to offer some sort of incentive to use these machines. On this Island they are ideal for town and great for parking.

They are a bit like those helmets that cyclists wear - we wouldn't be seen dead wearing one 20 years ago but now they are sensible and de rigeur.

They're nice, but not the answer to everything. I couldn't get me and my three kids on one for example.

I do think more incentive needs to be given to smaller more efficient cars, like Londons congestion charging perhaps.

Sorry Frances, but what is the major disgrace, the bus station or the journey time? ... If it is the bus station, then what's the problem, we don't use bus stations here as they do across?

my point, obviously poorly put, was that Manx busses cost 50% of those in S.E. England but petrol here is more expensive - there are express busses for 9to5 workers (the X1,3 +5) but outside of these bus journies are slow - maybe the use of prepaid cards as used on most of mainland Europe (to avoid odious camparisions with UK) would ease matters. Douglas used to have a bus station where one could wait in relative comfort. One major difference is that Guildford has a growing number of bus-only lanes to improve service.

Shetland is probably a poorer example as distances outside Lerwick much greater and population density much less - however there was both a bus station and regular (heavily subsidised) transport throughout the islands - I didn't sample local Lerwick buses but most bus stops had shelters (complete with No Smoking signs) + what appeared to be a regular service.

Probably to stop people sleeping on them?!

I thought they had angled metal beams in them now so you could sort of sit/lean your arse on them but no way lie down on them.

that's the little sloping yellow ledge thing they have removed !, nowhere to even rest a shopping bag (so I'm told !)

Excellent idea! I like the little (four-two?)Smart Cars a lot.

When I'm Transport Minister I'll get IOMG to buy them in batches of 500 (wholesale price?) and sell them on an exchange basis at cost plus - say - 5% to cover admin fees, preference being given to people trading in unsuitable cars. Since I have lots of common sense, I'll decide what is 'unsuitable'.

In percentage terms, global emmissions are increasing at around the same birth rate as supporters of friends of the earth and many other organisations supported by environmentalists and hippies. Let's just cull the hippies and environmentalists - problem solved.

/Pam Crowe voice on in order to deflect any hint of sarcasm

..../in the alternative "wooosh" mode on

Well, thank you for the reply to my suggestion Mr Peters.

/off

and

..../off

Don't worry Stu, I can't ever see the Smart car being obligatory.

You see, most folk don't see cars as an extension of their personality. If you are into cars then fair enough.

A car is primarily a means to get from A to B. I use a 12 year old Vauxhall something or other to get to work although some folk use the bus.

I know if I dumped the Vauxhall I could get 2, possibly 3 Smart cars in my garage instead of one. So imagine how these vehicles would ease parking in Douglas not only during the day but outside peoples homes at night.

There is no real incentive to purchase a Smart car is there but undoubtedly it would help congestion no end if there were more of them.

I could handle the big boys taking the pee out of me, in their big slooped up vehicles but I learnt how to handle that at school when I used to wear a blue nylon snorkel parka and all my mates had denim jackets.

I love fast and flashy cars, but I'd also quite like a 'sensible' and quirky thing. if they still made 2CV's I'd probably have one of those.

The thing is choice - and carrots work better than big sticks sometimes.

Now - anyone want to swap a Smart for my supercharged Jag? Seriously...a black one ideally with a cash bung to ease my pain.

Global warming is just the latest fad for the old vegetarian animal rights lefty CND brigade who need a cause.

China increases its CO2 output every year by an amount equal to the whole of the UK's output.

IOM produces 0.17% of the UK's CO2 output. Whatever we do on IOM is bugger all in global terms and makes zero difference to "global warming".

Go on, buy that new Range Rover - you know you want to!

Global warming is just the latest fad for the old vegetarian animal rights lefty CND brigade who need a cause.

China increases its CO2 output every year by an amount equal to the whole of the UK's output.

IOM produces 0.17% of the UK's CO2 output. Whatever we do on IOM is bugger all in global terms and makes zero difference to "global warming".

Go on, buy that new Range Rover - you know you want to!

And the CO2 emissions of all vehicles around the world combined, is piss all compared to that produced by volcanos.

Archived