Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing will change - if you don't fancy the risk of getting wiped out by a high speed dodgy overtake, simply avoid driving on the Mountain Road and Ballamodha. That is where the vast proportion of victim fatal accidents happen.

Dead easy - the politicians are too scared of imposing a TT killing speed limit.

And the CO2 emissions of all vehicles around the world combined, is piss all compared to that produced by volcanos.

INCORRECT man-made C02 exceeds volcanic activity by 150 times - see http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/Gases/man.html - not sure quite what percentage vehicle emissions are - depends if you include aircraft as they are a major source

can now add - transport = about 20% of manmade C02 thus 30x more than volcanoes - see http://www.ecolane.co.uk/environment.php

I want one of those GSXR Smart cars!

So do I. It would be like having a niormal GSXR except you can chat to someone on the phone and have a cigarette and that at tha same time

Nothing will change - if you don't fancy the risk of getting wiped out by a high speed dodgy overtake, simply avoid driving on the Mountain Road and Ballamodha. That is where the vast proportion of victim fatal accidents happen.

Dead easy - the politicians are too scared of imposing a TT killing speed limit.

plus also you forget that the people mostly dont want it.

Theres a pe teacher might be Head Minister soon and he'll try to get uit in and it will remind me of the school when if you ran in the corridors CP (that's the jim teacher) said "Dont Run". Same thing really

Go back to sleep!

Can somebody recommend the best way to combat the civil servants desire to restrain us and force their personal desires on us? Whar recourse do we have to make them listen to the people of the Island? They obviously haven't listened before otherwise they wouldn't be trying to push these things through. Does anyone know of an on-side Member that we can lobby to fight our corner or is there another way we can make ourselves heard?

Can somebody recommend the best way to combat the civil servants desire to restrain us and force their personal desires on us? Whar recourse do we have to make them listen to the people of the Island? They obviously haven't listened before otherwise they wouldn't be trying to push these things through. Does anyone know of an on-side Member that we can lobby to fight our corner or is there another way we can make ourselves heard?

In this the age of media and spin, the civil service is the lobbyists chosen career path. You are witnessing the birth of dumbocracy.

I've a feeling that THIS STORY (CLICK HERE) might be worth taking note of in that, instead of the dire warnings about speeding, it actually points the finger at bad driving - particularly by young drivers.

Teenage girls are to be taught in school that the biggest threat to life and limb is their boyfriend’s driving.

A hard-hitting film funded by the Home Office will be sent free to all secondary schools to highlight the dangers presented by teenage boys who get behind the wheel.

Linda Gummery, spokeswoman for missdorothy.com, the charity behind the film, called Watch over Me III, said: “Our films are aimed at helping young people develop strategies for dealing with everyday risks such as knife crime and tough issues like internet paedophiles. But what struck us the most through our research for our latest film was that one of the biggest killers of teenage girls in Britain was their boyfriends’ bad driving.”

I shall now duck while angry teenagers hurl abuse at me.

it's a fair call

a mix of youthful invunerablitiy confidence, lack of skill/experience and wanting to show off to your mates/laydees is always going to end up in trouble

anyone who says they didn't do something silly in their first year of driving is lying - luckily for me I got it all out my system in the sahara desert and there's nothing like driving through Marakkech or a mine field to calm you down a tad...

Having said that what starts with teenagers continues on into every age, every time I get passed by a raging arsehole in some golf or equivalent on the mountain road it's sporting grey hair and glasses... but then you might as well concentrate on the young and drill good practice in before they get the bad habits rather than fight 20 years of stubborness

You forget. They are driving at a sensible and reasonable speed, allowing for the conditions, the car and their diving skills or experience. Or that tends to be an argument put forward.

I have to admit I am still waiting for my official letter confirming my level of ability.

Having said that what starts with teenagers continues on into every age, every time I get passed by a raging arsehole in some golf or equivalent on the mountain road it's sporting grey hair and glasses... but then you might as well concentrate on the young and drill good practice in before they get the bad habits rather than fight 20 years of stubborness

there is a difference between driving badly and driving quickly

you can be a bad driver and make a horrenduous error at 30 miles an hour - having a car about 3 foot behind you climbing the mountain with lights full on is what I would classify as stubborn stupid driving, so is overtaking on a bend and so forth - none of those require 100mph

Seconded.

I was going South down the Cronk-Y-Voddy on Saturday, conditions were cloudy but dry, making reasonable progress, but some old tosser decides to overtake me on the straight (with oncoming traffic), and then the car in front of me, at the blind crest at the top of the hill :blink:

My car was faster than his, and I didn't think it safe for an overtake..

Here's a thought - and I'd welcome measured comments.

It feels that virtually EVERY time I go out in the car, I see something illegal - either a defective vehicle or dangerous driving - where I wish there was a cop around to nab the offender. I'm not perfect, or holier than thou, and realise that we all make mistakes.

But I'm beginning to think that the only way to improve driving and vehicle standards and reduce accidents is to start calling the constabulary and making citizen's reports. On Friday evening I was driving south from Ramsey over the mountain and 'making good progress' when I came up behind a car with NO rear lights on at all. Naturally, I flashed him/her but got no response - and whilst sitting behind waiting to overtake I realised that the headlights WERE working, so the driver was probably unaware that BOTH rear bulbs were out. Should I have called the cops?

Then on Saturday night I was driving along Loch Prom in the early hours after finishing work, dodging the usual drunks (note to drunks - a Lotus sports car is NOT likely to have a taxi plate nailed on it!) when a hatchback came up from the Sefton end, in the middle of the road, with no lights on at all! I flashed it, but checking in my mirror as it passed I saw that there were STILL no lights on. Should I have called the cops?

The problem is that it feels wrong to even be thinking of 'shopping' fellow drivers. Nobody wants to be a grass. But if one of these idiots causes accident or injury and you DON'T do something, you'll feel even worse.

Comments please.

there is a difference between driving badly and driving quickly

you can be a bad driver and make a horrenduous error at 30 miles an hour - having a car about 3 foot behind you climbing the mountain with lights full on is what I would classify as stubborn stupid driving, so is overtaking on a bend and so forth - none of those require 100mph

I agree but from you comment about a "raging arsehole in a golf" I presumed you were talking about a boy racer.

I was being flippant as I doubt anybody drives in a way that they believe that is outside their capabilities or not safe. Even the guy overtaking on a blind bend or at a blind crest with oncoming traffic They probably believe and rationalise that their is plenty of time etc etc when there in reality there is not. I bet in 90% of the cases if you could speak to the driver afterwards they would not recognise what they did as risky or as poor driving.

It is why I was being slightly flippant as on numerous occasions I see it quoted by drivers they are safe to go quick on the moutain road etc as they have the skill and experience to do so and the conditions are in their favour. They may have but I bet nearly everybody believes that even the worst drivers on the road.

Archived