Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

It feels that virtually EVERY time I go out in the car, I see something illegal

Totally agree. Defective lights, fog lights when no fog, talking on phone, lack of due care and attention, etc

Should I have called the cops?

I did when I traveled a few miles behind a car with no brake lights at all. How hard is it to check if your brake lights are working?

I know they have these well advertised road side checks each winter, but how hard would it be for an enterprising copper to stand by the side of the road on the Prom or Glencrutchery road and pull over people with faulty lights. unnecessary fog lights, taking on the phone, etc. and give them all a ticket?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In respect of Stu's comments I would not want to "waste" police time in that if following up any report it may take an take an hour ot two for something that the police would only issue a gentle reminder. I would also differentiate between not having your lights on and having defective lights as I am sure we have all set off at one tome inadvertanly without lights on.

I would suggest a gentle reporting mechanism for things like missing light bulbs, out of date car tax, illegal number plates, fog lights on etc where by a quick e-mail etc to the police this results in a gentle letter to the individual in question advising them of the problem and suggesting they fix. No prosecution etc it is a preventitive measure to assist the motorist. If they are though continually reported then the police can go and take the time to look for evidence and consider prosecuting.

If there was a simple formal procdure people might consider becoming involved especially if generally the intention was not to prosecute but inform. Rather like telling your neighbour if you notice they have a back light out. You are therfore not shopping to the police but just trying to help out a fellow motorist.

I came up behind a car with NO rear lights on at all. Naturally, I flashed him/her but got no response - and whilst sitting behind waiting to overtake I realised that the headlights WERE working, so the driver was probably unaware that BOTH rear bulbs were out. Should I have called the cops?

No, you shouldn't have called the police. And what response did you expect? What is the correct response to a flasher in one's mirrors? What you should have done if you're really that safety conscious is forget about overtaking and follow the car over the rest of the mountain road to lend the driver the temporary use of your rear lights, and perhaps follow him/her until he stopped and then told the driver about his vehicle defects.

In respect of Stu's comments I would not want to "waste" police time in that if following up any report it may take an take an hour ot two for something that the police would only issue a gentle reminder. I would also differentiate between not having your lights on and having defective lights as I am sure we have all set off at one tome inadvertanly without lights on.

I would suggest a gentle reporting mechanism for things like missing light bulbs, out of date car tax, illegal number plates, fog lights on etc where by a quick e-mail etc to the police this results in a gentle letter to the individual in question advising them of the problem and suggesting they fix. No prosecution etc it is a preventitive measure to assist the motorist. If they are though continually reported then the police can go and take the time to look for evidence and consider prosecuting.

If there was a simple formal procdure people might consider becoming involved especially if generally the intention was not to prosecute but inform. Rather like telling your neighbour if you notice they have a back light out. You are therfore not shopping to the police but just trying to help out a fellow motorist.

Don't agree at all I'm afraid. Zero tolerance is the only way to get through to these persistent offenders! Thinking I was being helpful I once stopped to tell a motorist that his reversing lights weren't working (that had to be true as he was reversing and his lights weren't on) and his calm response was "Yes, I know - there's a light on my dashboard telling me that" How many fines would it take to stop this cretinous behaviour.

I have the impression working lights are an optional extra on Manx registered cars and the police don't give a shit.

However, I'm set against the vigilante approach, because 1) if I wanted to be a policeman I should give up my current job and apply to become one, and 2) 5 years ago I was shopped by some twat who claims to have witnessed the "worst driving they had ever seen", they couldn't even prove it was my car that was involved (even giving an incorrect description) couldn't prove I was even there, described something I've never done and the police commenced prosecution proceedings against me for dangerous driving, because "it's their word against yours, let the court decide". The police even waitied 14 days before serving me with a notice - who can remember exactly every bit of motoring they did 14 days ago anyway? I pleaded guilty to driving without due care because it was cheaper than paying an advocate to stand around for a day in court to defend me - funny how the police could totally change their story as read out in court when my advocate 'plea bargained' for me! At the time, I was responsible for managing 50 people - what was to stop any of them shopping me, because I stopped their overtime?

I must be in the minority though, because though I'm not perfect by any means I really can't remember driving in the dark without lights on. Ever. That has to be proof positive of not driving with due care. :P

Fair enough but zero tolerence is a bit OTT in my opinion as not all lights fail sitting while parked up in the garage or drive and I am not going to do a full check every time I get in my car to come home from work etc etc.

Very impressed with your memory with respect to turning lights on but I have to admit when I moved from a unlit area to a built up area I did on occasions move off without turning on the lights. Maybe only 50 yards but in a very brightly lit area it is easily done.

Finally I was not suggesting a vigilante approach. My suggestion would only be applicable to non subjective areas that can be checked at a later stage such as lights, tax etc etc. The intent would be that it would inform remind people something required attention and they would resolve. The persistant offenders would still be caught but the ones who were negletful rather than willfull would quickly put things right so that quickly less defective vehicles were on the road.

Don't agree at all I'm afraid. Zero tolerance is the only way to get through to these persistent offenders!

I must be in the minority though, because though I'm not perfect by any means I really can't remember driving in the dark without lights on. Ever. That has to be proof positive of not driving with due care. :P

Here's a thought - and I'd welcome measured comments.

It feels that virtually EVERY time I go out in the car, I see something illegal - either a defective vehicle or dangerous driving - where I wish there was a cop around to nab the offender. I'm not perfect, or holier than thou, and realise that we all make mistakes.

But I'm beginning to think that the only way to improve driving and vehicle standards and reduce accidents is to start calling the constabulary and making citizen's reports. On Friday evening I was driving south from Ramsey over the mountain and 'making good progress' when I came up behind a car with NO rear lights on at all. Naturally, I flashed him/her but got no response - and whilst sitting behind waiting to overtake I realised that the headlights WERE working, so the driver was probably unaware that BOTH rear bulbs were out. Should I have called the cops?

Then on Saturday night I was driving along Loch Prom in the early hours after finishing work, dodging the usual drunks (note to drunks - a Lotus sports car is NOT likely to have a taxi plate nailed on it!) when a hatchback came up from the Sefton end, in the middle of the road, with no lights on at all! I flashed it, but checking in my mirror as it passed I saw that there were STILL no lights on. Should I have called the cops?

The problem is that it feels wrong to even be thinking of 'shopping' fellow drivers. Nobody wants to be a grass. But if one of these idiots causes accident or injury and you DON'T do something, you'll feel even worse.

Comments please.

Stu if your car is the red lotus running around on english plates does that mean you haven't had it mot checked for manx registration?If so how can you be so certain that you have no defects on your car,very few imported cars get through there test 1st time on the island.

And after that?

I came over with a Vauxhall Omega which had been well looked after and through several MOTs. It did fail, on silly things as such as one fog light out, as is the norm, but after that I could drive around with alacrity! The arse could have been hanging out of it after I had registered it!

And after that?

I came over with a Vauxhall Omega which had been well looked after and through several MOTs. It did fail, on silly things as such as one fog light out, as is the norm, but after that I could drive around with alacrity! The arse could have been hanging out of it after I had registered it!

No wonder imported cars don't get through the test 1st time if you can't be bothered to check all the lights are working BEFORE it goes in.

As I said before, I'm convinced working lights are an optional extra on cars over here. Only trouble is, if people can't be arsed to check something as simple as their lights, what else is defective on the car? Bald tyres anybody?

My son put his car in for a test a couple of weeks ago and because he made sure the car was properly prepared, it passed without a problem.

I'm waiting for an insurer to have the nerve to decline to payout because a car was not maintained in a roadworthy condition (a covenant all insured's have with their insurance company I believe). Let's stretch that further and have the police prosecute drivers of said cars for then not having insurance :)

I did when I traveled a few miles behind a car with no brake lights at all. How hard is it to check if your brake lights are working?

Depends, if you live alone with no garage or wall to look in the rear-view mirror at, how do you expect to both press the pedal down and run around to see if the bulb is working at the same time? Outside a lit area you can't see the light reflecting on anything either.

I've had to ask someone waiting to fill up in a garage if my lights are working before now, but that was only because someone mentioned one of the lights wasn't working.

What really gets me about this is that people actually are risking THEIR OWN LIVES AS WELL AS OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES by driving defective cars. A simple, basic 10 minute weekly check that you can do yourself could save your life.

Sod MOTs. They are only tell you that your car is OK on one day of the year, make loads of money for garages and loads of money for the government across.

If a person is not responsible enough to check their lights, oil, tyre condition/ pressure, windscreen washers and brake fluid level, they should not be allowed behind the wheel.

Depends, if you live alone with no garage or wall to look in the rear-view mirror at, how do you expect to both press the pedal down and run around to see if the bulb is working at the same time?

I can generally see when I reverse park, for example. I doubt both brake light bulbs failed at the same time so it's likely that she'd been running around with defective brake lights for a while. It's very disconcerting traveling behind someone with no brake lights.

I see the Police checks have finished for lights now. A number of car drivers have returned their newly purchased headlight bulbs for a refund and put the old ones back in.

Brake light check tip. Next time someone in a Chelsea Tractor pulls up behind you in traffic, dap the brake pedal and your brake lights light up in their headlights. You can see them both in your rear view mirror.

This works when you get stopped for a blown bulb .. just say "Ive just checked them in traffic buy looking at the reflection ... they were fine then occifer, now if you dont mind, I have to get home/to work/to the House of Keys before the alcholol starts to wears off"

(This assumes that you have a rear view mirror - either fitted, correctly angled or you know what it does and how to use it.)

Stu if your car is the red lotus running around on english plates does that mean you haven't had it mot checked for manx registration?If so how can you be so certain that you have no defects on your car,very few imported cars get through there test 1st time on the island.

A fair point, so here's the skinny:

I bought the car in April/May and she then spent 13 weeks in the SCP workshop in Douglas having extensive work done prior to taking the Manx test. I did start using her a few weeks ago while we waited for a new steering rack - the old one was safe but had some play in it, so we decided to fit a new one.

That arrived a couple of weeks ago and was fitted, so I took her for a DoT test 10 days ago. She failed because of a split rubber boot on a ball joint, a pinch bolt on the steering column was fouling the bodywork slightly, and she had an engine oil leak. I knew the engine was a bit 'sweaty' and had planned funding a top overhaul in the new year anyway, though I didn't think it would be a fail point. I have no issue with any of these items and she's in dock again now to have them sorted prior to a retest before Xmas. Bah humbug - there'll be no meat on the table again, and the kids can have an orange each, as long as the car is sorted!

Hopefully you'll agree that none of this made the car unsafe. I'm a petrolhead, so I spend a disproportionate amount on my cars and bike to make sure that they're well maintained.

Archived