Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is normal.

I think normal is a bit strong.

Ships have names as well - usually female: Lady of Mann, Ben My Chree, etc.. Seems normal enough there..

I always name my cars - recent ones included: Madam Rover Fallapart, Frau Mercedes Runsforever, and at the moment, Her Majesty Queen Jaguar "maybe one day the bloody thing will run again" the 2nd of Britain, most humble guardian of all garages, petrol stations, and mechanics in the country.

He is talking about Lotus cars (Lots of trouble usually serious - judging from 2 of my brothers who ran these an apt description) - whether this is a feminine trait I leave to others

Utterly gorgeous,goes like the clappers, and a money pit-sounds like it to me.

Yeah, the Lotus is the same...but at least she makes me smile a lot.

And after that?

I came over with a Vauxhall Omega which had been well looked after and through several MOTs. It did fail, on silly things as such as one fog light out, as is the norm, but after that I could drive around with alacrity! The arse could have been hanging out of it after I had registered it!

No wonder imported cars don't get through the test 1st time if you can't be bothered to check all the lights are working BEFORE it goes in.

As I said before, I'm convinced working lights are an optional extra on cars over here. Only trouble is, if people can't be arsed to check something as simple as their lights, what else is defective on the car? Bald tyres anybody?

My son put his car in for a test a couple of weeks ago and because he made sure the car was properly prepared, it passed without a problem.

I'm waiting for an insurer to have the nerve to decline to payout because a car was not maintained in a roadworthy condition (a covenant all insured's have with their insurance company I believe). Let's stretch that further and have the police prosecute drivers of said cars for then not having insurance :)

Fair point Stookie, but the car had just gone through its UK MOT a few months before. I was sure there was nothing fundamentally wrong with it and there wasn't!

I know I'm tempting fate here, but I assume those who actually do get around to replacing broken lamps must get the cheapest shit they can lay their hands on, maybe from off a scrapper or from someone who's preparing a banger for Onchan Stadium, because I've not had a light blow on any of my 3 cars in over 5 years. Worrying thing is you even see quite new cars with a light out. Is there a conspiracy among car manufacturers?!

Is there a conspiracy among car manufacturers?!

No - it's called "potholes" and "utterly sh*te roads"...

Ahh - I wondered where all my taxes went :)

Must say, and the novelty soon wears off, but it's an absolute pleasure driving on the roads around Heysham - my car has no rattles or squeaks there and the ride and roadholding are magnificent

Ahh - I wondered where all my taxes went :)

Well, not into the roads - so much I think we can establish..

Must say, and the novelty soon wears off, but it's an absolute pleasure driving on the roads around Heysham - my car has no rattles or squeaks there and the ride and roadholding are magnificent

If you fancy a proper roller-coaster ride, then grab a bus (the 21 to Farmhill will do, although the one to Castletown is recommended for the 'extended experience') and sit yourself on the top deck, pref. at the front - hold on tight, it's gonna be bumpy!

Seriously - since I used public transport a few times, I've realised how bad the roads here really are - bone-shaking, tooth-brakingly bad...

If you fancy a proper roller-coaster ride, then grab a bus (the 21 to Farmhill will do, although the one to Castletown is recommended for the 'extended experience') and sit yourself on the top deck, pref. at the front - hold on tight, it's gonna be bumpy!

Seriously - since I used public transport a few times, I've realised how bad the roads here really are - bone-shaking, tooth-brakingly bad...

Or grab a ride in my mate's Sportpack-equipped original Mini - before they relaid the surface down the Ballamodha a few years ago, following him I was waiting for him to be bounced off the road :D

it is rumoured that 50% or more of the road maintenance goes on the TT course - as you imply the rest can go to pot.

Even bits of the course are pretty awful, e.g Sulby -> Ramsey (and this goes past a Highways Dept Depot )

One suspects that nothing will be done about the back roads until the farmers complain that they can't get their tractors around. Small wonder there are so many 'off-roaders' on the roads..where are the driveway-tarmacing pikeys when you want them? :P

Archived