Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

To add my two penneth.

I drive a car that with a heavy right foot will scrape 16 mpg and throw out a lot of CO2.

If the road tax on my car increases I will NOT be trading it in for a Nissan Micra and I very much doubt many other people will do either.

This whole green tax bollocks is a pure money making exercise. If they really had honorable intentions this increased tax would go directly towards environmental projects rather than into the general pot.

Stuff them. I think I'll go and buy a Hummer

It's not really surprising, you don't give a fuck about the harm your causing, so the cost of owning such vehicles will go up until you do.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No contest, the citroen has used 1/3 of the fuel, for the same cost? That's a bargain in my book.

Oh you've also omitted the extra running costs for the Jag like insurance, oil and tyres. There's no jag under insurance group 19, where the citroen is group 1. Makes quite a significant difference to your figures.

I'm actually not interested in the price, I'm interested in the impact of burning fossil fuels.

Actually, on most fronts the jag's running costs will be lower than the C1 as most consumables are available very cheaply, and you can throw virtually any oil (e.g. castrol Merit) in there. Not so the C1, which uses special synthetic oil and parts are still dear, and any work wil have to be done by the main dealer to protect the warranty.

As for insurance, you would be surprised, the Jag can be insured 3rd party very cheaply indeed as it is not seen as a theft or boy racer risk. Best part of all is if the Jag dies, you just go and buy another, as you know they are two a penny as they are not "green" so must be really dear to run.

The other difference is the Jag is loaded with safety equipment and luxuries that the C1 can only dream of. I know which I would rather be in during a collision!

A modern Jag X Type has the same euro ncap rating as a citroen c1. Yet the C1 has a higher safety rating for pedestrian, so safer all round.

It's not really surprising, you don't give a fuck about the harm your causing, so the cost of owning such vehicles will go up until you do.

Well I'd better buy 2 Hummers whilst the going is good then. I might buy a cow as well seeing as they put out more greenhouse gases than my car.

How much is the road tax on them?

The other difference is the Jag is loaded with safety equipment and luxuries that the C1 can only dream of. I know which I would rather be in during a collision!

A modern Jag X Type has the same euro ncap rating as a citroen c1. Yet the C1 has a higher safety rating for pedestrian, so safer all round.

Euro ncap ratings are pretty meaningless these days. I mean, a C1 has 4 airbags as standard and a xtype has 6. Xtype engine is designed to go under the car in the case of a crash, where does the C1 engine go? The x type has traction control, anti skid, 4 wheel antilocking brakes, c1 does not come close, you see ncap ratings are within class, not across the board. You are comparing a jet ski with a luxury yacht and saying the jetski is safer!

Also all this pedestrians stuff is kak. Is the C1 safe because the pedestrian will only be paralysed from the neck down instead of dead?

Well I'd better buy 2 Hummers whilst the going is good then. I might buy a cow as well seeing as they put out more greenhouse gases than my car.

How much is the road tax on them?

You need food, you don't need to drive an Imprezza. That aside, the 'cow fart' argument actually relates to the environmental cost of farming livestock intensively, where there are serious improvements needed. Just because something else is broke, doesn't mean you should not bother fixing anything.

Besides, it's not just about greenhouse gasses, it's also about the fact that fossil fuels are non renewable.

Euro ncap ratings are pretty meaningless these days. I mean, a C1 has 4 airbags as standard and a xtype has 6. Xtype engine is designed to go under the car in the case of a crash, where does the C1 engine go? The x type has traction control, anti skid, 4 wheel antilocking brakes, c1 does not come close, you see ncap ratings are within class, not across the board. You are comparing a jet ski with a luxury yacht and saying the jetski is safer!

You'd get all those safety features in a 500 quid 1980's jag? Pretty sure the Jags back then had driver only front airbags eh?

I'm comparing a modern small boat with a clapped out old shitty boat. I'm not surprised if the new one is safer at all.

Also all this pedestrians stuff is kak. Is the C1 safe because the pedestrian will only be paralysed from the neck down instead of dead?

I think it'll take ncaps word over yours, ta.

I love these discussions with people telling other people what car they should be driving :D

If the government really want to do something about the amount of emissions that cars over here produce, they need to bring in the MOT. Specifically the emissions test. How many cars do you see driving around belching out clouds of shit? Quite a few I would guess. Many old cars with high mileage "Manx from new" worn out engines will produce far more emissions than a modern car no matter what the engine size is. I say load the tax on all cars that can't pass the basic MOT emissions standards.

High tax on cars with large engines or 4x4 will not reduce pollution, emissions or CO2. People will still drive them, the taxes will be paid and the small engine bangers will still belch out clouds of smoke.

It's nice to see one politician has the balls to make his voice heard, and no, I'm not a JT fanboy.

At least they could open the Jags door after the test. They had to cut the roof off the C1! And you think that is safer? a few more miles per hour and both C1 front seat occupants would have had an engine on top of them. The Jag occupants would still be opening the doors. This is a case of the test meeting the safety level of the vehicle not vice versa.

I think the point you have not clicked onto is that for the best part of the last 20 years Jaguar has been the premium brand of Ford. Any innovation or new technology that Ford have come across has been implemented in the Jag first before it has tricled down to the focus and fiesta matket. That is why in reality they are very safe. The fact that you can pick thim up cheaply is a real bonus

Archived